I drove along the ring road today, Arnold to Wollaton and noted the central and side grass verges are very very overgrown. I suspect COVID will be the excuse but wonder why this is. 

I’ve got an approx 9 metre squared ‘natural’ area in a far corner of my garden for the little insects, especially the bees.  It’s a mixture of wildflowers, forget me nots and similar garden flowers and weeds, as well as a couple of pieces of slightly rotten logs. I still can’t resist picking off the fluffy dandelion flower heads though!

For the past year or so my husband has left a small area of our lawn uncut, even though he’s rather OCD about his lawn and makes sure he has lovely straight lines up and down.   We have a very eccentric near neighbour whose house is in desperate need of attention, not least painting, but several years ago his young next door neighbour thought he was doing him a favour and mowed his front lawn, which had been left to nature.  The poor man didn’t realise that a neighbourly act had occurred and told me he just couldn’t understand why his ‘wild flowers’ weren’t growing very well.   He never did discover that someone had mown it.  Needless to say, his garden looks a right mess again but he won’t be getting any assistance. 

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Some grass areas are left that way to encourage wildlife, which thrives better in those conditions.

Surely not the brightest idea to encourage wildlife within inches of a busy road?