• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Curry cob sounds delicious    Do tell more about this culinary masterpiece  @ptmike 

Posted Images

Queen Adelaide, Windmill Lane, Sneinton. A massive post war Home Ales pub (now Free House) with great views of the backside of Nottingham. Had an excellent pint of Spitfire in there a few days ago.

If I'm in Kimberley I normally pop into the snug at the Nelson and Railway.

• 1 year later...
Curly is working at The Adelaide as well.

And Curly is now working @ The Lincolnshire Poacher gave Mansfield road a rare visit last Saturday night Forest Tavern/FADE/Poacher - There was some cracking entertainment in the backyard of the Poacher some women fighting for over 15 minutes screaming like wild banshees.

Is that the Alan Hayes, as in Alan & Margerat of ARIBA CLUB fame?

Just over a year late Mick ,but, yup thats him

Does anyone remember the 'Peach Tree' just a few yards up from the 'Turf Tavern'.

I was a resident in the Nottingham area from 1975 -1986 (See "Memories Of My Nottingham Days 1975-1986). I remember The Peach Tree.I always thought it was a bit rough.Wasn't it a Whitbread house ? Later on it was refurbished and became Langtrys.The Turf Tavern was part of my regular Friday night pub crawl in the early/mid-80's with a working colleague of mine.In those days it was a Shippos pub as it was during the "tied houses" era.Me and my mate used to meet in The Blue Bell a bit lower down.Next door or next door but one was a Turkish Kebab place owned by a guy called Eddie.Is it still there ?

I used to go in The Peach Tree in the late seventies. I remember it was the only place around where I could find a pint of Stella Artois in those days (when it was good!). It was also the first place I ever heard The Boys are Back in Town by Thin Lizzy on the juke box. Memories!

The Peach Tree was smack next door to the Turf.

I still use Langtrys as it has long been.

Next door or next door but one was a Turkish Kebab place owned by a guy called Eddie.Is it still there ?

I don't know if it's still there but he was a fantastic bloke (if he knew you) I used to go in every Friday and Saturday for my 'fix' of chicken kebab, with my mate "Steve the Greek" ( who was Turkish really , but he pretended to be Greek " 'Cos we Brits like them better " as he used to say) He was related to them in some way.

Anyway after a few visits with him, Eddie started to treat me as family too and I used to get massive portions.(Too much to eat in one go)

When I first went out to Ibiza we used to talk to the tourists about what we missed/ the first thing we would do when we got home, my reply was .

" Catch the 8.00pm bus from Carlton Square, go into Nottingham, meet my mates, have a bloody good bat round town, finish off up Arrabbelas , GET MY FIX OF CHICKEN KEBAB, take it home ,fall asleep with it on my lap in front of the telly, wake up and eat it for breakfast, go to bed for real this time, get up , go in the shower, get dressed, catch the 8.00pm bus from Carlton Square and do it all over again!!!! "

HAPPY DAYS

I don't know if it's still there but he was a fantastic bloke (if he knew you) I used to go in every Friday and Saturday for my 'fix' of chicken kebab, with my mate "Steve the Greek" ( who was Turkish really , but he pretended to be Greek " 'Cos we Brits like them better " as he used to say) He was related to them in some way.

Anyway after a few visits with him, Eddie started to treat me as family too and I used to get massive portions.(Too much to eat in one go)

When I first went out to Ibiza we used to talk to the tourists about what we missed/ the first thing we would do when we got home, my reply was .

" Catch the 8.00pm bus from Carlton Square, go into Nottingham, meet my mates, have a bloody good bat round town, finish off up Arrabbelas , GET MY FIX OF CHICKEN KEBAB, take it home ,fall asleep with it on my lap in front of the telly, wake up and eat it for breakfast, go to bed for real this time, get up , go in the shower, get dressed, catch the 8.00pm bus from Carlton Square and do it all over again!!!!

HAPPY DAYS

Great post,Beefy - thanks.I remember Eddies real name was Erdinc Tamay.I suppose Eddie was English for the Turkish name of Erdinc.I always used to pass his shop on the way to the Blue Bell which was the start of my Friday night pub crawl.Happy memories !

I beleive the kabab shop is still there, its the one my mate uses sometimes before he catchess the twenty seven to Carlton square..

Bip.

• 1 month later...
I used to enjoy a pint in the Turf Tavern in the early sixties.

There was always a blonde lady behind the bar, who looked just like the landlady in Coronation street, Annie Walker.

I wonder if anyone remembers her, and was she the landlady or just a barmaid. (just curious).

Going slightly off topic here...but..but.

Does anyone remember the 'Peach Tree' just a few yards up from the 'Turf Tavern'.

The reason I ask, is because I only ever went in there once for a quick pint one dinner time.Anyway when I went back to the building site where I was working, the fellas were ribbing me something chronic, something like 'Hello Sailor' I think you get what I mean.

I never really found out, if it did have a reputation for being a 'Gay' sort of place.

Before you ask! No, I did not go in again. 'I'm a married man Bettteee'.

Hi, I've just discovered thi site,

We used to frequent the Turf in the late 50s and early 60s when on leave and after leaving the army.

Beattie West was the blonde behind the bar, she was the landlady at the time and could more than hold her own if anybody stepped out of line.

We often used to end the night there as it wasn't far to get the bus back home from Trinity Square, the number 17, 2d (2 old pence) back to Valley Road!

Regards.

• 2 years later...

Gilly - who ran the Johners and did grub in The Turf a few years ago - has had The Adelaide for going on three years. Always a fine selection of ales, great views across town and a traditional meat raffle every week.

Gilly starts his new job today as head chef in new pub the Poppy and Pint.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/talking/article-3552128-detail/article.html

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On Saturday, March 18, 2006 at 8:36 AM, bamber said:

Pete and Marcia's (or is it Marcia and Pete's?) new pub is the Three Crowns in Wymeswold.  :tease:

Seems Nottingham cricketers Stuart Broad & Harry Gurney have taken over the Three Crowns? Any whereabouts on Marcia & Pete? 

http://www.nottinghampost.com/cricketers-stuart-broad-and-harry-gurney-to-open-pub-in-wymeswold/story-29502694-detail/story.html