• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Curry cob sounds delicious    Do tell more about this culinary masterpiece  @ptmike 

Posted Images

Pete and Marcia's (or is it Marcia and Pete's?) new pub is the Three Crowns in Wymeswold. Excellent food, friendly atmosphere and a nice log fire which Marcia is still learning how to operate. There's a very strict car park policy; Bentleys, Ferraris and Mercedes only. Strictly no scrotes - so that's me barred already. :tease:

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

Just wondered whether you still have contact with Marcia?

The reason im asking is that in 1991 i worked at Devon Coast Holiday Village, Smallcombe Road in Paignton and the landlady of the turf tavern looks remarkably like the Marcia who worked in the restaurant at devon coast.

Sorry for asking this, but its driving me nuts now wondering if its the same person.

Thank you.

:) Sal

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to enjoy a pint in the Turf Tavern in the early sixties.

There was always a blonde lady behind the bar, who looked just like the landlady in Coronation street, Annie Walker.

I wonder if anyone remembers her, and was she the landlady or just a barmaid. (just curious).

Going slightly off topic here...but..but.

Does anyone remember the 'Peach Tree' just a few yards up from the 'Turf Tavern'.

The reason I ask, is because I only ever went in there once for a quick pint one dinner time.Anyway when I went back to the building site where I was working, the fellas were ribbing me something chronic, something like 'Hello Sailor' I think you get what I mean.

I never really found out, if it did have a reputation for being a 'Gay' sort of place.

Before you ask! No, I did not go in again. 'I'm a married man Bettteee'.

Used to use the Peach Tree when courting in the early 60's. Certainly didn't seem like a Gay pub then. I can only recall one really gay pub at that time which was on Glasshouse Street but I can't remember it's name.

The Peach Tree was always frequented by staff and performers from the Theatre Royal and it was sometimes amusing to see them dash in ( in costume) during the interval and drink a real quick one before returning to the stage.

Another popular pub in that area was the Spread Eagle on Goldsmith Street and the Guildhall Tavern on Burton Street.

Thanks Trafalger for clearing that one up about the Peach Tree.

I should have realised at the time,about the performers from the 'Theatre Royal' frequenting the place.

That's probably where we uncultered building site workers showed our ignorance. If there wasn't any sawdust, or spittoons in the place. it was classed a sissy place. ;)

Like you, I also found it a pleasant pub on the one occasion I had a pint in there. Obviously I could not say that to my macho friends, or they would never let me forget it.Talk about youth being wasted on the young eh!

Regarding the Turf Tavern.

Walked by there last night couldn't see any change inside apart from the tables were lower and the seating better, couldn't see any real ale on apart from the standard one stem four drinks dispenser. The bar looks as if it's been rounded at one end but that maybe my imagination. Not a regular you see. Did I say that there were only two people in and I think one was bar staff? In comparison to Langtrys if that's the way you spell it, which was more or less full.

Regarding the Turf Tavern.

Walked by there last night couldn't see any change inside apart from the tables were lower and the seating better

And the pianos gone !!!

Hope you finished up in the now half opened Market Square Den for midnight ?

Not sure if its an eastern block tradition , but boy was me and Mrs Red out numbered come the midnight hour , welcome Romania and Bulgaria !!!

Noticed a lot of the old Turf Tavernas where last night enjoying the delights of the Dragon on chapel bar , the young lass playing the vinyl was superb treating us to the delights of the jam / buzzcocks i even heard uptown top ranking , can't tell you what beer was on tap , i was on the Czech republics finest Staropramen .

Sorry no pictures this year i traveled light .

Staropramen.jpg

Why does Lantry's get more folk in than The Turf - Because they sell REAL ALE - that's why!

I popped in a week or so before Xmas just to see what it was like. In a word: ruined.

I can't see how the New Turf can survive and the palpable lack of spending on the refurbishment would seem to confirm that the new management have a very short term view of the business.

Bamber

Here's a little pub we visited on Boxing day up in Knaresborough - Free BEER!

The treat was for all who visited the annual boxing Day Tug of War over the river.

Excellent.

DSC_0070.jpg

I popped in a week or so before Xmas just to see what it was like. In a word: ruined.

I can't see how the New Turf can survive and the palpable lack of spending on the refurbishment would seem to confirm that the new management have a very short term view of the business.

Bamber

and a landlord for 38 years !!!

from the Morning Advertiser

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Turf Tavern

Nottingham

Nottinghamshire

The city-centre real-ale pub was sold off an asking price of £50,000 to Alan Hayes, who has been a licensee in Nottingham for the past 38 years. The sale of the Punch Tavern-tied lease was handled by the Nottingham office of agent Davey & Co. The pub has 100% wet sales, and there is a great opportunity to introduce food and increase the turnover, which is presently £189,000 a year.

The pub has 100% wet sales, and there is a great opportunity to introduce food and increase the turnover, which is presently £189,000 a year.

Well if they don't start selling real ale those turn over figures are going to drop considerably....or was he hoping to attract the young who wouldn't know a real ale if one was offered.

Get Harvest Pale on and I will put the Turf Tavern on my wish list for when I’m in town.

The Turf Tavern, The city-centre real-ale pub was sold off an asking price of £50,000 to Alan Hayes, who has been a licensee in Nottingham for the past 38 years.

Is that the Alan Hayes, as in Alan & Margerat of ARIBA CLUB fame?