Electric Cars & Scooters

what do nottstalgians think of e scooters? I personally like them but it seems unfair that you can whiz round town on a rented on but not one of your own, perhaps they ought to be made legal and regulated in some way i.e. insurance cover and some sort of i.d.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve thought about going electric, but for me, the negatives far outweigh the positives so far (sorry!). We need something far better than lithium ion. Batteries that will charge quicker, weigh less,

Well,  they certainly aren't funny I will concede that.  The clown label is not my invention.  I think it would be because such individuals promote radical changes in our lives that even many respecta

Morning Dave.   Your reply about 'Climate Clowns'..contains at least three assumptions...   1. That there are 'respectable' scientists who deny Climate Change. 2. That Climate

The idea is ok, but quite a lot of them are driven (ridden ?) by arrogant idiots at high speed, and force pedestrians to get out of the way.

And there are others who - like cyclists - ignore traffic signs and rules of the road, and just go wherever they want.

• Like 4

Shoulda been left to kids, without motors. Brought out as Christmas presents and put away two days later.

• Like 1

It's a bit confusing really. Electric scooters are illegal, electric bicycles are not and you can ride them from 14yrs of age. There needs to be closer monitoring of their use as riding them on pavements s not only dangerous it's illegal.

Most large towns sur le continong have them.

The cyclists who think traffic laws don't apply to them or consider it OK to use the roof of your car for support has been a problem for years. Not sure why, in Amsterdam there are thousands whizzing around without any bother, then again Dutch police don't ignore infractions the way ours do.

• Like 1

I haven't been into the centre of Liverpool since the pandemic began, but, according to local TV the place seems to be swarming with them. As ever.. some are sensible..many are not.

Don’t mind them as long as they are ridden properly, there are always some idiots that don’t have a clue. My problem is when they are left to be picked up and block pavements. 

What do you call a load of them waiting collection? Gaggle, herd, murder, meeting or gathering? Perhaps they are plotting to take over the world!

Daughter’s job means that I’m frequently driving through the city centre late evening to pick her up, which means that I’m occasionally meeting these yellow perils being piloted by people who have had a few drinks.

Nearly wiped-out two of them when they were riding the wrong way, against the one-way traffic, on Burton Street by the Guildhall.

There might possibly be some benefit of them in daytime to allow people to move around the city, but not when the drunks fall out of the bars.

Possibly the problem lies with the perception of them. They are 'scooters' and still carry childlike connotations of toys, as such they are not treated with the same respect as road going vehicles.

I must confess I'm curious and when I get the chance I'll have a go on one. Maybe we could start a NS racing team and have races round the market square!    thumbsup

I saw them parked up in various places the other day while I was down there. What do you do? Penny in the slot machine to pay for its use?

Pay via app on mobile, 12p per minute.

Driving Licence required, Provisional as a minimum, so minimum age also 16.

The built in tracking / geofencing only allows completion of the hire if it's left in one of the many approved locations.

Those riding after a few sherbets need to be careful.  Drink driving law applies (mechanically propelled vehicle).  Minimum 12 months disqualification and obvious ramifications when later trying to insure a car.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

What I'm curious about is, who collects them up and when and where do they get charged? Who does the servicing of them?

Yes Barrie, I’ve wondered about that. I saw a whole gaggle of them lying at the top of Mapperley Rd. yesterday. (I don’t normally frequent the red light district! :biggrin:) I suppose someone swaps them in the dead of night for charged up ones.

B-K

Person / Woman / Man in a van drives around and changes the batteries, presumably the E scooter reports its battery state to it's control centre. I've seen someone doing it.

I'd assume it's probably the same person who collects up the excess scooters at any location and moves them to places they know there is greater demand.

They're all tracked so they know exactly how many are in any location and the demand at any location.

I've got this theory that they breed somewhere, in a back alley, out of sight of passers by. Come the day, they will rise up and strike back. A film will be made, "Scooter Day, Rise of the machines"!  Humans will be enslaved and have to carry a scooter on their backs, everywhere they go.    B.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Similar thinking here Bk.

I'm expecting to be driving down the road one day and to be met by a host of riderless e-Scooters coming towards me.

You can tell by the way they gather that they've got evil intent planned.

jqNz4pw.jpg

Hah, they're tiddlers.

Could be worse, this is a common site in Budapest- scooters with a seriously bad attitude...

87.jpg

Maybe they are the chief breeders Brew, once charged, they could spawn all the little buggers that you see waiting around and spying on us.

Phil, do you suppose that all those at Mapperley top could be the result of folks having a few sherberts in town and come closing time, they grab one to go home on. They'd be cheaper than a taxi.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Electric Cars & Scooters