Electric Cars & Scooters

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve thought about going electric, but for me, the negatives far outweigh the positives so far (sorry!). We need something far better than lithium ion. Batteries that will charge quicker, weigh less,

Well,  they certainly aren't funny I will concede that.  The clown label is not my invention.  I think it would be because such individuals promote radical changes in our lives that even many respecta

Morning Dave.   Your reply about 'Climate Clowns'..contains at least three assumptions...   1. That there are 'respectable' scientists who deny Climate Change. 2. That Climate

An old pal of mine from years back always kept some 'grandad' bedroom slippers in his 1955 Ford Popular. Swore he couldn't drive in proper shoes.    B.

• 2 weeks later...

Another demonstration of e-stupidity.

Two girls - aged around 15 - balancing precariously on one scooter, riding down the outside lane of Maid Marian Way on a Sunday evening. Oblivious to what might happen, but nervously giggling with it.

Scooters back in the 50s were quite different to the E scooters of today......been trying to recall the names.....and its just come to me.....'MOBO's'' ..remember them?.................They were the most popular.....However to be different when i was about 10 Mam bought me a Posher one called ''Triang''.....

Must have been my first  ''Pulling Machine'' because i recall taking ''Dolly'' on it down  Gainsford crescent...Dolly was in my class all thru my school years and not only did she Ride my scooter with me...but she rode on the Crossbar of my Racing bike when we were about 13 and even in the Basket of my 'Marsdens' Granville bike......loved Dolly'' always giggling..........:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

How come that scooters can do that speed but e-bikes are limited to 15.5 MPH?  I can pedal my normal bike at more than 15 MPH

E scooters are here to stay, so we will just have to get used to it.

They are a way to reduce car use and congestion and should be embraced as such.

They do present new dangers which legislation and 'culture change' will address eventually, albeit with 'hues and cries' and many injuries and deaths.

As a lifelong cyclist I could easily say "why not use bikes"? Well, we have had over a century for that to be decided.

Most humans will take the easy route, hence the car. Nipping around town in a car could be seen as a bloody selfish activity - expensive, polluting and taking up precious space.  Of course there are exceptions where there is no realistic or practical alternative.

An E scooter has many advantages. They pack away small - smaller than a folding bike, so OK on public transport.. They can go uphill and they are cheap - unless you get one like RR's son! 

There will always be tearaways and recklessness, but surely in a car they are more of a danger than a silly E scooter rider?

• Like 2

@The PianomanProbably because an e-scooters got no input from you, where as on an e-bike you use the assist when required & your still pedalling, I have a 29" hybrid push bike, I'm sure I'm touching 25/35 mph, I defiantly over taking cars when flying down Wigman Road from me Mams.   

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

The police turn a blind eye, plus they are soon to be legalised for use on public roads & cycle lanes in the Government's new upcoming transport bill, plus they are a lot more fun than eBikes, go on have go @philmayfield 

I don’t have the death wish to ride an electric scooter around the narrow twisting country lanes round here; even if they ever become legal. Riding a normal bike can be quite scary. There used to be a chap in the village who drove an electric invalid scooter and he was persuaded to fit it with a flag on a tall post so he could be seen round the corners!

3 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

E scooters are here to stay, so we will just have to get used to it.

Providing some of the rules of the road are transposed to the pavement/cycleway. If we all stayed left (including walkers, runners etc) it could work. At the moment it is a bit of a free-for-all. 

• Like 1

@radfordred if I were much younger and could see properly (an important consideration!) I’d definitely want a scooter like that.  

Misread that one PP., thought for a minute you were going to electrify your fishing rod. :Shock:     B.

The police don't turn a blind eye to the scooters in Lincoln, one was stopped by the police on the Brayford and got a ticket for riding one on the road and then riding on the pavement, she walked home carrying the scooter

• Like 1

Sold it last year Phil, I was suffering bad back problems, nothing to do with riding the trike it was the struggle getting it in and out of the shed, I do miss it but still get out daily on one of my other bikes

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Sold it last year Phil, I was suffering bad back problems, nothing to do with riding the trike it was the struggle getting it in and out of the shed, I do miss it but still get out daily on one of my other bikes

The Penny farthing?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Electric Cars & Scooters