Swan fight years ago just after dawn on Clumber Park.Pair enters anothers territory and can't back off because their cygnets are trapped...So the cobs began a fight that lasted nearly an hour.Both gave up when exhausted.

Click on picture.

th_1.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a  flock of five at the at the moment and yes they do tend to eat virtually everything in sight, but they are a large bird and consequently eat more than a small one. I have hot glued bars on

It was a lovely, still night in the garden yesterday. Horace/Doris turned up on cue at 10pm. Brought a friend along. Doris/Horace?  Anyone who thinks hedgehogs are slow, bumbling creatures should see

We are at the top of an hill so we look out onto countyside but at the slde near us are some terrace house's. Now with central heating chimmy pots are not used any more. We have now been hear about 10

Thanks poohbear for making available these Wonderful photographs. We always think of the swan as being serene but these are a real eye opener.

Once standing at the side of Wollaton Park lake a swan approached, got out of the water and came and stood at the side of me. I spoke to the huge bird and felt so honoured that it remained for quite a time at my side. I often think of this precious moment in time.

I will return to take a look at your photographs many times.

Recently I wrote a short story based upon a crow, it came second in a competition. A fascination with crows is inherent within me - no, I'm not a witch! - it's more to do with empathizing with the land. Whilst working on my story I researched into the crow and was amazed to find that a lot of people feel the same as I do about this clever species.

THE LADY MAGPIE

A few years back there seemed to be a vast amount of magpies flying into and over my garden. Squawking and strutting about the lawn like Nazi Generals, I like everybody else was fed up with their invasion.

And then one day from the kitchen window I saw that one had literally landed in my garden and showed no signs of flying away. I felt something was wrong, so I went outside to take a look.

As I approached the magpie it showed no signs of struggle. Standing in front of the bird, it looked up, cocked its head to one side and looked deep into my eyes. I was touched - felt a closeness.

Something was wrong, was it wounded? I decided to move the bird to the garden shed, where I wrapped it up in an old towel, placed it in a cardboard box, then went inside to phone the RSPCA.

It wasn't long before a young lady from the organisation arrived. She informed me that the magpie was an old female and had suffered a stroke and would sadly have to be put down; it would be cruel to keep her alive being as she wouldn't be able to fly. My heart went out to the Lady Magpie.

I was surprised to learn that like we humans, birds have strokes too - how similar then they are to us.

This event changed my mind regarding magpies; I'd learnt that We All play a part in the vast scheme of things.

• Upvote 1

I would be amazed if an RSPCA employee knew the difference between a male or female magpie let alone able to diagnose a stroke.I've been watching,keeping, breeding and treating birds since 1955 and I certainly wouldn't know. There are a hundred reasons why a bird should get sick,and certainly a wild bird allowing you to approach and handle it is in a bad way indeed.Apparent tameness is usually a sign of a very sickly bird,unless it's an escapee.

The RSPCA are not set up to look after wild birds and will usually release or destroy any that are left with them.Personally I would seek out one of the small rescue centres that know and care about wild birds.

And in the breeding season never 'rescue' a baby bird found in the open...the adults know exactly where they are, and they should be put in the nearest bush out of sight of the local cats.A small fledgling having fallen from a nest is another matter and if it can't be placed back in the nest it should be given to a local bird rescue centre.

• Upvote 1

Regarding swan fights , some years ago I was at a loch in Shetland's central mainland watching two male swans, a Mute and a Whooper fighting over ownership of the loch. The females looked on while the fight occassionly took to the air, it was petty spectacular and very violent. I watched for maybe 40 minutes before I had to leave.

A couple of days later I passed the loch, and the Whooper Swans were nest building, the Mutes were nowhere to be seen.

Whooper Swans have been nesting in Shetland for 10 years or more, and very successfully, I once saw a family group with 6 cygnets. Whereas in Iceland they usually only fledge 1 or 2 if any at all. Their nests are watched over by local birders to prevent egg collectors stealing the eggs, and we never mention to visitors which lochs they are nesting on. Although they often find them themselves.

It appears that they migrate south, while the other more northern breeders winter here in Shetland. BTW both Whooper and Berwicks Swan can be seen in N.E.Notts at the right times of year.

I looked up from washing the dishes this morning and saw that a blackbird - sporting a glorious golden beak - had landed in the birdbath outside in the garden.

He looked as though he was truly revelling in what could have been his annual bath: swish swash, swish swash and then flicking his wings in the small circle of neglected water. He was a wonderful and comical sight to see.

Probably getting himself ready for Mrs Blackbird (who is brown by the way), breeding season not far away now and they'll soon start pairing up if not already done so

Rog

• 1 year later...

Hi All

After talking with a friend from Woodthorpe who lives in a bungalow estate they was telling me that there was only a small number of gardens birds visiting their garden and they do have feeders out, I find it sad that birds such as sparrows are on the RSPB red list and have been for quite some time after growing up seeing these birds all the time, one reason is over development of areas.Also when I was at their home I was surprised how many magpies there was another problem for small garden birds.

Kind Regards

Sparrows/Starlings...modern building methods with plastic barge boards etc.just don't lend themselves to nest sites for these birds.The nooks and crannies just don't exist anymore.

As for magpies ...in the Nottingham of the fifties and sixties you just didn't see any..to the West of Nottingham,pretty rare.But in those days Burton Joyce and that side of Nottingham they were very common.

Then along comes the motor car with thousands of road kills...and the littering of the streets with McDonalds and other rubbish...absolute heaven for the crow family.And thirty years on magpies and crows everywhere.

hear in forestfields its very rear you see any birds in the day time except the odd pidgeon or crpw but in the morming about 5 i am often awoken by down courus and a varity of diferent birds but i not good enough to know wich birds are calling.

my sister is home from south africa at the moment she lives back redhill cemetary and has been surprized at the number of blue jays in the garden this time home very rear they saw them befor she went 5 years ago even when they came home 2 years ago they did not often see themshe has been takeing pictures of her garden birds here to show friends back in south africa as some of the birds there have same names ie robins but are compleatly different to look at.

Same applies to Jay birds what Poohbear was saying about the "corvid" family, the Jay is a member of the crow family and as such has similar feeding habits, they will hunt out birds nests and raid them for the young just like crows, magpies etc

The dawn chorus you hear babs is probably a mix of Blackbird, song thrush and Robin, if you check out the RSPB website there is an option on there you can click on to hear the birds you want, just click on the birds picture or name and you get to hear their song, well worth checking out

Rog

My dad made a bird scarer in the late 50's, particularly to scare off Penguins, Ostriches & Albatrosses................................it worked a treat........

• Upvote 1

A few weeks ago , I was outside shelling some old nuts to put in the bird house and as usual the friendly little robin red-breast was hopping around in close proximity , seeing whats going on .

Next minute a noise that I can only describe as "Vuuumpphh" , a noise like a very muffled minor explosion happened , made me jump out my skin and looking about three feet to my right , saw what I am sure was a Sparrow Hawk taking off from under a lavender bush and with little Robin in it's claws .

It settled in the corner of the garden and I gave chase but it took off again unfortunately taking dinner with him, the little chap still alive held in a tight grip . I haven't told SWMBO , she'd fed that little chap for years . Well I assume it's the same one .

This is the second time I have seen this Sparrow-Hawk swoop in within feet of me , though last time , last year , not sure what it got but it was probably a sparrow. We only have a small domestic garden but I seem to see more and more of these birds about and they are obviously getting bolder .

I've had a couple of good 'ornithological fishing trips' recently.

The first was having a Wren perch on my boot and flitting in and out of my bait bucket helping itself to Maggots.

Then last Wednesday I was joined by a pair of Robins and their chicks literally begging off of me !

One of them was shouting and I sprinkled a few 'free offerings' for them , then one of the chicks was sitting on the edge of a bait pot helping himself , then the other chick joined him and the pair of them were quite happy (Like a pair of feathered pigs in dung) just to stand in the pot helping themselves. Mum and Dad then serenaded me for a good 10 minutes.

I'd like to think it was as a thank you !

Oh and Steven, there's another verse :-

The Elephant is a funny bird,

It flits from Bough to bough,

It builds it's nests in Rhubarb trees,

And whistles like a cow.

We had a discussion a while back (On here) about it . KateyJ found a copy of it somewhere on the WWW and posted it in the "Rhymes from our childhood" thread IMMSC.

Back garden wise , we don't get a lot as there are rather a lot of cats round here. I put their food out on top of the out house roof so they get plenty of warning if something is sneaking up on them.
We also had feeders that hung off of the clothes line pole at the bottom of the garden, but the darn thing has rusted through and we've replaced it with a rotating thing.

They're all in the next field feeding on the new wheat shoots coming through, only got the .22 now, suppose I could hold the barrel and use it as a club though ;)

Rog

• 8 months later...

Bit of a Bump

This weekend is the RSPB bird count weekend where you count how many birds you see in your garden.

I have a feeding station set up, in the same place where it has been since we moved in here and always regularly topped up.

Last week it was mobbed, finches, blackbirds, fieldfares and the usual suspects of robins and sparrows.....today? Nothing, Nada, Niet!!!

Do they know they are being counted? I am no more obvious to them than any other day when I watch their antics so can't say that I am alarming them at all, besides which when I spoke to my sister in law the other day she made the same remark that when the time comes for the count up they disappear. They can be heard singing away and I have a sneaky suspicion that they are laughing at us!!!

• Upvote 2

No Chance here, They have all skiddadled. We are in the middle of a wild Storm: Thunder ;Lightening and a sudden down fall of pea sized Hail, It fell just like a blanket and covered the ground instantly. I think the birds are all hiding for now.

Very B.... O... B.... M......!

The crows get aggressive during breeding season over here, red tailed hawks are notorious nest robbers, so get dive bombed by crows.

Sorry folks, I refilled all my feeders at lunchtime and have been inundated, Even during the storm, the tits were out in force. Got a bag of crushed peanuts and spread a couple of handfuls on the lawn and was immediately swamped with sparrows and dunnocks. Those suet pellets of various flavours are particularly popular. Interesting just looking out of the kitchen window for a while.

Yes we had the storm about an hour ago, but before that it was quite pleasant.

My daughter informs me that on Winter Watch they are saying some animals are confused by the spell of mild weather we have had and have started to mate, but to be fair the same thing happened last year and the year before....still there is always tomorrow ..........