I lived on Windmill Lane, Sneinton, from 1965-1980. I have mostly good memories of growing up, playing out & getting into scrapes! I was Rosie Scragg, back in those days. I’m especially interested in The Mounts, where I remember playing before the flats were built. Would love to hear your memories of the area too… 

My missus was born at 138 Windmill Lane and I got my climbing bug from the Mounts - now flattened! Lion’s Head and those frightening, crumbly cliffs above the playing fields! I think I posted some pics of the Mounts as they are now. I (or Cliff!) will try to find them. Happy days!

29 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

I got my climbing bug from the Mounts - now flattened! Lion’s Head and those frightening, crumbly cliffs above the playing fields! I think I posted some pics of the Mounts as they are now. I (or Cliff!) will try to find them. 

You've even started a thread about the subject ! ....but so far no-one's replied to it.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/18467-gooin-up-mounts/?

And there's another thread which mentions The Mounts, and does have replies.... 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/11446-greenspace-between-sneinton-carlton-road/?

21 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just curious Affer, but where are/were "The Mounts". Or should I know.

Just in case you can’t place it from the links...

The Mounts were behind Manvers School on Carlton Road. We used to go up Hooton Street, opposite Hogarth School and crawl under the railings on long-gone Dawson Street to get onto Manvers playing fields. The Mounts were a series of clay cliffs, off to the left, towards the Thorneywood/Sneinton Dale railway line. Once the site of clay pits which furnished material for Nottingham’s brick makers I believe.

• 1 month later...

My memories of the mounts are those of a four year old who was allowed to wander at will. To me it was an adventure playground which I always thought comprised sandstone. I lived at 267 Windmill Lane, a former terraced house opposite Key Street and the Red Cow, which was demolished (as was much of the housing in that area) after we left in early 1950. Apart from roaming at will I remember the mounts as a short cut to the cinema in Sneinton Dale where we used to go for the Saturday morning rush. James Jonex

• Like 1

Yes. The pub was closed long after I left. I think that, at one point, it was tenanted by the husband and daughter of Mrs Littlehales (?) who used to run a small shop at the end of Key Street. I’m amazed the block of flats is still standing. I remember it being built more than 50 years ago? 
I wondered why the mounts was flattened. Was it to create playing fields for the school on Carlton Road?