Hi please can anyone help me. i have two trees on ancestry and findmy past.

on my dad’s side of the family his grandmother Catherine Jackson was born in liverpool 1855/56. her mum mary jane jackson from ireland born 1834/36 married george jackson in londonderry in 1851. its says her dad was william, born ireland, possible mother sarah blair also born ireland. thats a brick wall.

George was born in nottingham, nottinghamshire 1823 his father william also but i cant find anything birth or before he married mary jane in 1851. can anyone gelp me please ?  

i am on line all the time if i find what i feel is a match i am not sure i have all his english census details from 1861 to his death.  after getting covid last year i am still suffering long covid but determined to find his birth and father and mother. there was a george jackson on army deserters but just dont know if it was him. please can anyone help. we have a online parrish gov site to check here. In nottinghamshire sorry to bother anyone 

Welcome,

Am assuming the 1861 Census you mention shows the family near Harrogate ?

George a mason born Notts and Mary born Ireland .

On that Census as well as Liverpool born Catherine , is a William born in Ireland and Mary born Harrogate in 1860.

With the info you have given can only see one Catherine Jackson born in Liverpool in Dec qtr 1855 .

Mothers maiden name Glendenning.

On Familysearch is a marriage in Londonderry , Ireland for a George Jackson to a Mary Jane Clendinning which could be the same people ?

Name: George Jackson
Sex: Male
Father's Name: William Jackson
Father's Sex: Male
Spouse's Name: Mary Jane Clendinning
Spouse's Sex: Female
Spouse's Father's Name: William Clendinning
Spouse's Father's Sex: Male
Marriage Date: 18 Dec 1851
Marriage Place: Tamlaght Finlagan, County Londonderry, Ireland
Marriage Place (Original): Tamlaghtfinlagan, Derry, Ire

Later on the 1871 when the family are living in Wigan it shows another child,  also called George born Dec qtr 1863. 

There is a birth in Hull for George that year with mothers maiden name CLANDINNAN so take your pick !

Mmmmm no reply,  obviously not the right info .!

....or possibly the point I made a few weeks ago in another thread.

Newcomers post a question and then, a few days later, they decide to check if there's been any response, but they can't find their way back into Nottstalgia to find their original question !

• Like 1

It seems gender issues are nothing new. People apprently needed to be told the fathers sex and the spouses fathers sex were male and good old George, another male, was marrying a female!

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Thank you would have been courteous, even so!

To be honest it happens all the time . As well as this query ,  on our local FB page a lady asked about a local manor house that was demolished in the 1950s .

As it happens , sometime ago , I had already researched the house and the family that had lived there for hundreds of years and wrote it up on a blog post with as many pics as I could find . 

I provided a link to this article and not had either a thank you from the original poster or even a "like".

To add insult , the few others that also replied to her query, completely ignored my info and recommended other people that could help with it . 

I wonder if some post their questions late at night after a vino or two and then completely forget they've done it ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DAVIDW said:

the few others that also replied to her query, completely ignored my info and recommended other people that could help with it . 

I have also experienced that feeling of "Do I still exist ?".   There's a possible explanation for it which I recently discovered.

If someone looks at FB on a phone (or possibly tablet) it doesn't always show all the previous posts in a thread. So when a person makes a comment, they don't realise there are already a large number of earlier posts. They think they are the first.

• Like 2

In a more cynical frame of mind...who, me?...I suspect some people are mildly interested in their ancestry and would like someone else to do all the hard graft for them, gratis. They then lose interest. As many of us already know, if your interest in  your forebears is really serious, it's not an interest merely: it's an obsession!  To have someone else research it for you, paid or otherwise, would somehow put you at a distance from your ancestors. To feel you really know them, you need to have sat for many hours, leafing through the primary sources...and you can't do that via the internet.  Genealogy is a type of disease. Once you've got it, you'll never be cured.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

If someone looks at FB on a phone (or possibly tablet) it doesn't always show all the previous posts in a thread. 

Could be that .

As another example , on the same FB page , someone asked what a long derelict shop used to be . So far 165 replies of which the same retailers name has been repeated 35 times !

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

To have someone else research it for you, paid or otherwise, would somehow put you at a distance from your ancestors. 

And those researchers may not necessarily be very good, as I discovered several years ago when I was doing a lot of my family history research. 

I was in contact with people who were related to my father's parents. They had used a 'professional' researcher who had provided a family tree for that side of the family........but which completely missed the existence of my father. They showed a family of 4 children which should have been a family of 5 children.

And the relatives had paid for that 'research'.

• Like 1

My research started when an aunt gave me tree on her and my fathers side. Looking at all the names and families it started off my interest. This tree stopped  at a certain point and I couldnt get any further. Asking questions didnt reveal any answers and through hard and difficult research I found out that my ggg grandfather was illegitimate. So no doubt the snooty family were ashamed to carry on looking. Since then Ive gone even further back in time and come up with some really interesting facts. On my mothers side difficulty came with my grandfather. His father died, his wife married again and then she died and her husband remarried , each union producing more children. I did a year of research on him but then eventually found that his name was still his original,but spelled differently. I had looked at different spellings but never had any luck until I looked at another web site then everything fell into place. It even brought back to me by my grandfather mentioning his half brother so I knew it was the correct one. Theres only one person that has me baffled and I can never find her. Her name is on my original tree that my aunt gave me but her name doesnt exist. Ive tried everything I can imagine but the end is always a brick wall.

For the moment Im having a break.

Like to add that through research it produced some interesting results in the form of finding distant cousins from all over the world and when they find some info they send it on to me. Ive also found my cousins  cousin who was researching for my cousin so another friend who does the same. As well as distant family Ive come across people who share the same family through marriage. One in particulat came across that my ggg grandfather had a younger brother who died at a tender age through illness. So even if you dont research regularly still carry on because theres always a way you will find out something about your ancestors. Happy hunting. 

• Now youve given me the urge to get back to ancestry. Blow the washing and house work.thumbsup
  • Like 1

I sometimes wonder how accurate family trees are because it’s only absolutely accurate through the female line - the father of a child may not always be the husband!  

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

the father of a child may not always be the husband!  

Oh my goodness gracious Margie whatever do you mean...   yada

I did a lot of family history research on behalf of my cousin in Oz. It was the practical kind whereby I climbed over gravestones in the wilds of Derbyshire and Lincolnshire. All I know is that I come from a long line of bastards as those who know me will confirm! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1