Old Radford in the 1950s and 60s

Does anybody have any old photographs of Trafalgar Street area in the late 1950's to 1964?....

Rather later than your request.....

This is a Nov '75 picture of Trafalgar Street, taken from the junction of Wyville Street and Warner Street.

Cheers

Robt P.

@ http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/

post-13-1162234500_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 9 years later...

I've got ten minutes..wow this reminds me of my past in so many ways,Heathcotes the camera/film shop where my late Father developed his steam photographs, I bought a Zenith E and my first camera..a battered Zorki which the owner sold to me reduced with a roll of b/w ilford ready to go!

He had that exterior clock made with his name on it- think the family kept it when the shop closed.

Browns did huge baps,smothered in potted meat, Joselyns for all your scooter needs.Leno's was just up the road- only fit for "eyes down" in my day though.

The Scotto,just past The General( upstairs for the flesh fancier!).Benjamin should recall that VG mini MKT?

Paul Lesley?

Anyone recall Robin Hood printers further down?

Memories eh?

Just reminds me, nothing green about Hyson Green, just a community with real shops...............

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember The butcher shop at the corner of Hartley Road and Garfield Road. It was owned by Vince Bailey and my father worked there as the main butcher serving customers. His name was Jack and wore a cap. On the other corner was Harrison's the toy shop. And opposite was a cinema, can't remember the name of it though. Anyone got any photos?

Ah! Cliff Ton! you've done it again! I've just been reliving walks from my house to Garden Street when I was a very little girl. After I had run up and down the steps in front of Players factory and had a look up at the clock, we would cross the road and instead of turning the corner on to the main Hartley Road, I would always insist on walking up the little alley way that you can see just at the back of that row of shops on the right. We would emerge at the corner with the children's clothes shop which you can clearly see in your photograph. I remember it particularly because they had some baby-sized dolls in the window and they changed their clothes every week. They also had a sort of orange gel sunblind on the inside of the window which was presumably there to stop the babies' clothes fading in strong sunlight.

Then we would cross Hartley Road and turn into Norton Street where I always enjoyed the wonderful smell emerging from Barnet's sweet factory.

Absolutely wonderful photograph. Come over all emotional now for the past!

• Upvote 1

I had a look at Google street view of this area and the shop that sold baby clothes is still there but now offers laptop repairs etc.

Why does everywhere look such a blessed mess these days? The earlier photo shows clean, neat and tidy buildings and streets. Today, everywhere you go looks like an explosion in a upvc plastics factory!

Must be me getting old. I prefer life in black and white...yikes...am I still allowed to say that?

For a start there were no fast food chains and all the litter they generate. Fish and chips were the only carry out food and you generally took the paper home with you.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...
On 8/9/2016 at 9:52 PM, DaveN said:

Was Lovejoy's at the corner of Berridge Road and Radford Road?

Yes, lovely shop, gone now of course. My dad used to breed budgies, and got his supplies from there. Just a bit further along theĀ Green, near Leno's, on a side street was Dr Baker's surgery, and her son Dr Stephens also practised there. When he made house calls he would often turnup in a Meschersmidt(forgive the spelling) bubble car. As he was tall, it was funny to watch him unfold himself to get out. I think he used it to save petrol.