Old Radford in the 1950s and 60s

Everyone does daft things as kids. I remember ten of us packed in the back of my mates little Ford van. We'd been to a party somewhere out Lowdham way and he overturned into a ditch near Burton Joyce. Fortunately, nobody was injured except for a girl cut her wrist slightly after climbing out through the windscreen.

Another time, after a session in town, a crowd of us were in the rear of a lads Standard Vanguard pick up. He was zooming down Derby Rd from Canning Circus towards Lenton on the pavement between the big stone wall, and the trees. I told everyone to remove their hands from the sides of the truck or they could find themselves losing several fingers. 

Many more stories of daft pranks, but luckily I emerged unscathed! 

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2006 at 6:30 PM, geoffrey1642 said:

Does anybody have any old photographs of Trafalgar Street area in the late 1950's to 1964? I used to live at 46 Trafalgar Street during this period ......

The only pictures are in my head, https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm001706/posterid/ntgm001706.html is the reality.

Trafalgar Terrace, or a part of it nos 2-12, was built by my great-grandfather (1852 -1908), I was always told as housing for John Player and Sons' workers.

The 1901 census has him, his wife and his 23 year-old son living at 68 Trafalgar Street.

He died aged 56 at Chapel St Leonards, his widow also dying there some 14 years later, in a house that he also built.

All his property passed to his only son (1877-1957), his wife (1873 - 1962) (m.1903) was from Chapel St Leonards;

in the late 50s - early 60s I often went with my father to Trafalgar Terrace to collect the rent - it was a significant part of Gertie's income.

On her death Trafalgar Terrace passed jointly to my father and his brother, who sold it.

(The C St L house was sold on the death of my great-grandmother by my grandfather to his wife's youngest sister - her daughter lived there until her death in 2001 -

I was instrumental as executor in selling that house out of the family).

I once went to look for Trafalgar Terrace, possibly in the 1990s but guess its all gone - where would it be on a current (on-line) map?

I now live up the coast a few miles from Chapel St Leonards; a house up the road from me, (a rather grand affair) was built in the 20s by E. S. Tansley -

he ran John Player and Sons from the  mid 20s to mid 40s.

There are many more links between this exposed (bracing) coast-line and industrial Nottingham

• Like 1
9 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I beleive that a large house with a tower in Sutton on Sea, now a retirement home was built as a convalescent type place for Raleigh workers.

Thanks for that - it's No 20 Trusthorpe Road,

Somewhere in Trusthorpe Road was a National Children's Home,

The NCH in Nottingham was Springfield in Alexandra Park, the gift of Sir Arthur Black - who also left his Nottingham home to the charity.

Kelly's 1930 lists Sir Arthur - a lace manufacturer, JP MP Mayor Sherriff - in Sutton on Sea at a house called 'Hatley'

[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=21417323&sale=52791792&country=england]

Interestingly, Lady Black is listed separately in S-on-S

Kelly's 1930 lists National Children's Home and Orphanage simply as 'Trusthorpe Road'

Are 'Hatley' and the NCH possibly one and the same?

[Struggling to find a Radford connection!]

• 7 months later...
On 8/4/2016 at 4:17 AM, TheOldMan said:

Anyone remember The butcher shop at the corner of Hartley Road and Garfield Road. It was owned by Vince Bailey and my father worked there as the main butcher serving customers. His name was Jack and wore a cap. On the other corner was Harrison's the toy shop. And opposite was a cinema, can't remember the name of it though. Anyone got any photos?

The Windsor cinema...