Forgotten features on old cars

6 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Lovely lady in the Passenger seat........wearing 'Thigh Boots and Mini Skirt''...........:)

You can still get them in modern cars Ben as optional extras but they can be expensive.

• Like 3
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can still get them in modern cars Ben as optional extras but they can be expensive.

So now you know Mary, here endeth your first lesson in "Obsolete Functions On A Post War Car". I trust you will much richer in your education of the motoring industry. My thanks go to our generous ben

Not if the street or road speed limit is 30mph or less

Pre-selector gear boxs, column mounted gear levers, 3 speed gear box, bench seats, hydraulic jack up system 'Jackall', triangular quarter-light pivoting ventilation windows at the front driver and passenger windows. Manually operated windows, fabric roofs, spray on coloured roofs. Wing mounter rear view mirrors that often came loose and rusted through the wing. Go faster stripes, white wall tyres.

Hand signals for giving directions to other road users including hand signals from inside the car to ; come forward, indicate right or left with the hand held with fingers together and straight in the direction to go, (similar to the long gone police constables on traffic duty), and, as philmayfield mentioned, horse drawn direction signals using the hand held whip!

23 hours ago, Beekay said:

Can anyone remember the little parking lights you bought from motoring shops,

Yes Beekay, I remember those and talking of extras we had a small paraffin heater that we used to light and put under the sump to keep the oil warm on the really cold winter nights.

Dynamos and regulators before alternators.

Distributors with points/condensers (capacitors) and carburettors before electronic fuel injection.

Propshafts under the transmission tunnel and long gear sticks.

Cigar lighters (now accessory sockets) and ashtrays.

Chromed hubcaps, bumpers and door handles.

8-track players.

1 hour ago, The Engineer said:

Distributors with points/condensers (capacitors) and carburettors before electronic fuel injection.

Magnetos before distributors!

Friction suspension dampers. Could be adjustable on some cars. Tighten them up for heavier load or for competition.

Manual windscreen wipers.

Shots of Redex upper cylinder lubrication. Some garages offered 'free shots' with your petrol.

Midlands Storage at West Hallam had an an old Atkinson recovery truck. The indicator was a long board behind the driver that he slid out when necessary, on bends and corners it had to be held or it slid by itself. Most confusing to anyone following when the truck turned opposite to the indication.

The pedals were strange, left = clutch, middle = accelerator and right = brake - woe betide you if you forgot when trying to stop quickly.

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Cars without synchromesh on first gear.

Like my Anglia had. It did have the optional heater fitted, though.

To add to the list, positive earth electrics. Made buying a radio that would work impossible even in the 70s.

Fuel tanks that you could syphon with a bit of hose if you didn't mind the occasional mouthful of petrol (don't think I would have wanted to try it with diesel mind you!)

Hydrolastic suspension on Minis and others.  Got tired of paying to have it topped up or refilled after DIY repairs so made my own mix (water and antifreeze) and modified a grease gun to administer it via the Schrader valves.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Not exactly a feature on cars, but connected with it.

Remember Ziebart.......anti-rust treatment.

Twice I got caught out with underseal treatment. Paid to have it done. Came with a six year warranty. My missus said, " Ya daft bugger! The car's got a 3 year warranty and ya swapped the car  after two years". I undersealed for somebody else's benefit! 

4/6 a Gallon

My first car I bought off my brother, it were a Ford Popular 1954. The valves were so worn that it used more oil than petrol. I was not a car to follow uphill !