Snakey Woods - Alan Sillitoe

Hello!

I'm writing this post from Turkey. I've been translating Sillitoe's book into Turkish and he mentions a place called "Snakey Woods". When I searched for this place, I couldn't find where it is. Could any one please inform me about this? I think it might be somewhere in Beeston but can't be sure. I would be really grateful to whom tell me it.. Thank you!

I'd never heard of it but one reference says it was Sandy Lane , Bramcote .

There could be a map expert along later who may be able to highlight it .

• Like 1

If you read this memoir there is a mention of Snakey Wood last quarter of Page 6, quote….

Meeting at the Oak at six we were clearly had strength in numbers. There was anything from five to around twelve of us. We’d walk down Wollaton road, cross the A52 and head up through the sprawling Lowes estate to the scrubland at the back known as Snakey woods. 

see https://dora.dmu.ac.uk/xmlui/bitstream/handle/2086/12064/glue sniffing chapter (2).pdf?isAllowed=y&sequence=1

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Snakey Woods - Alan Sillitoe
8 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

I'd never heard of it but one reference says it was Sandy Lane , Bramcote . There could be a map expert along later who may be able to highlight it .

I missed this Sandy Lane reference earlier !  

I looked at a few old and current maps based on ......... We’d walk down Wollaton road, cross the A52 and head up through the sprawling Lowes estate to the scrubland at the back known as Snakey woods.

I don't know the area, but I was going to suggest Deddington Plantation which fits the description. It was there many years ago; it's still there (to a degree) today. And it's close to Sandy Lane.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I missed this Sandy Lane reference earlier !  

I looked at a few old and current maps based on ......... 

We’d walk down Wollaton road, cross the A52 and head up through the sprawling Lowes estate to the scrubland at the back known as Snakey woods.

I don't know the area, but I was going to suggest Deddington Plantation which fits the description. It was there many years ago; it's still there (to a degree) today. And it's close to Sandy Lane.

I think you are most probably right. Thank you for your effort to find the place. Here is the passage in which Snakey woods is mentioned. I thought that It is somewhere near Cherry Orhchard but when I look at the map I saw those places far way from each other. So, I was confused because the characters were going out for a walk. However, as you say, Sandy Lane and Deddington Plantation really fit.

"When my first pay night came I called for her and asked: "What about a walk up Snakey Wood?" I was cheeky-daft and on top of the world, and because I'd forgotten about our arrangement I didn't think it strange at all when she said: "Yes, all right." It was late autumn I remember and the leaves were as high as snow, crisp on top but soggy underneath. In the full moon and light wind we walked over the Cherry Orchard, happy and arm-in-arm.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

I'd never heard of it but one reference says it was Sandy Lane , Bramcote .

There could be a map expert along later who may be able to highlight it .

Thanks a lot :)

• Like 1

Here is a section of an os map from about 1900 showing the area where Snakey Wood must be. I was hoping it would be marked but I can’t find it. You will see faintly underlaid the modern street names so could work out where the Lowes estate is if you are familiar with the area. I’m not. I marked Sandy Lane. 
I am familiar with much of Sillitoe’s work. His grandfather lived towards Wollaton Vale (Engine Houses) so walking the area he was not far from Beeston, Bramcote etc. People would stroll out several miles and think nothing of it.
BC8-BFA81-E1-F9-47-B4-9-C6-C-506-E4-C4-E

• Like 2