Does anyone remember any of the nutters that used to knock around there?

There was an old guy in the flat cap, who used to sit in the shelters on the Trent Embankment.

He always had a couple of carrier bags and had a transistor radio in bits.

If you spoke to him, he would reply only with the words "Plastic Mettal"!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone remember the old bird who used to walk up & down Arkwright St with a large coach built pram & at least 2 dogs & all of her worldly posessions in it as well, she scared the life out of me I thought she was a witch! :blink:

Caz

Not really a nutter, but an old tramp used to frequent the bench near to the small kiosk shop opposite the spension bridge. He wore a long coat had long hair and beard. He was called Walter and was ok to talk to. We used to give him our sandwiches.

This would have been mid 60's

I also remember the old woman who used to frogmarch through Nottingham city & shout very loudly....anyone remember her,she wasn't that old maybe late 50's?

Caz

• 3 years later...
I also remember the old woman who used to frogmarch through Nottingham city & shout very loudly....

There were two such ladies in action independently around Hucknall during the 70's/80's...

On one famous occasion they met face-to-face on the pedestrian crossing in the Market Place and a marathon slanging match ensued. Road traffic was backed up to the Byron cinema in the south and Washdyke Lane to the north!

Cheers

Robt P.

Nice Bump BTW 2004-2008 !clapping!

I remember the guy who used to spin round.

He would walk along quite normally, and as he passed you he would drop down on to his haunches

and shoot one arm up in the air and shout "HEY!"

Totally Barking!

But the Nottingham nutters pale into insignificance after the bunch I saw today.

I drove down Sunset Blvd, and back up Hollywood Blvd.

In Carlton we had "Nutty Phil" mentioned else where, but I can remember another couple, there was a fellow who used to walk up Cavendish Road growling and barking to himself and there was a woman who lived a few doors away from me named Joan R******* ,long since dead , who social services seemed to have missplaced . As I recall she burnt off a couple of toes in her coal fire and then a year or so later she did it again

I can remember a gent who would walk down Queens drive dressed in army trousers and jacket with an army rucksack on his back and pushing a small Honda motorcycle, never did see him riding it though. this would be in the late sixties when I was going to and from work on my push bike

Rog

• 7 months later...

Tinkers cuss ??

Incedentally is it P.C. to mention Nutters nowadays??. I only ask because as I watched an old episode of "I'm Alan Partridge" the other night, he was trapped by his ' Number one fan' who was a bit of a weird stalker. As he escaped he said to said fan. and I quote

"Pi55 off you fu**ing spazz, you're a fu**ing mental case you are"

Now the F word wasn't bleeped out or the P word or the 'Mental case' but the word spazz was . (I only know thats what he said, because I saw that episode when it first came out a few years ago, and thought then that the comment was a bit near the knuckle!!)

So he could call said stalker a mental case (and later also a mentalist ,) but not a spazz ?? weird thats all.

PC gone crazy, Part 23:

Apparently, in a recent release of the classic Dambusters DVD, Guy Gibson's famous black labrador 'Nigger' has become 'Laddie' :glare:

Cheers

Robt P.

GREAT!

I forgot about him,

He used to say, "I cant give you a ??????, but Ill give you a soldiers dream"

????? I cant remember the word or item?

I remember now

"I can't give you a B Minor, but Ill give you a soldiers dream"

Wots that all about

• 4 weeks later...

Ayup all,

I know this has nothing to do with the Meadows or Nottingham for that matter, but if you want to see what the "nutters" competition is check out "bostontown.net" and take a look at some of their video's but be warned there is some bad language on some of them.

Rog

If the mods don't think this is suitable please feel free to delete