• 3 years later...

PC gone crazy, Part 23:

Apparently, in a recent release of the classic Dambusters DVD, Guy Gibson's famous black labrador 'Nigger' has become 'Laddie' :glare:

Cheers

Robt P.

I heard that too. Also of interest is the world famous picture of I.K Brunel standing in front of the chains of the ship Great Eastern. The photos on sale at the SS Great Britain shop in Bristol have been doctored to remove his cigar! In an interview they said that it was bad form to show a famous person smoking because it might encourage youngsters to smoke. Fizzin' idiots!

Around the late 70's-early 80's, a neighbour of ours had a son,aged around 35 at the time,who would take the bus to Broad Marsh every day,except weekends,dressed in a pin striped suit and always with a leather briefcase. He would walk around Nottingham all day,then catch the bus home again,

One of his eyes was at a tangent,rather like Marty Feldman. Perhaps an indication that all was not as it should be.

• 4 months later...

There was a strange chap in the early 70's who would take three paces forward and then immediately two back... and so on.. Took him ages to get anywhere. Last time I saw him he was heading down London Rd by the canal .... very slowly of course. No this really happened and I am not making it up!

Yes I think I saw him in Loughborough last week ;)

• 5 months later...

Are they gone?

I left home when I was 17.

I slept rough the first night, part of it in that very shelter.

I there got talking to a homeless man who took me to an all night cafe, i believe it was on Arkwright street.

His name was Jimmy Saville, and Mick still has the cigar burn scar ..........Bum Bum............................... slywink

• Upvote 1

We Becket Boys (1966) would meet up with girls from Mundella in the gardens opposite the wooden shelters, there were 'cavelike' arches in the gardens, we could meet unnoticed by any Mundellian boys, who didn't take kindly to us 'rustling' their womenfolk (please excuse non PC statements)...................

I heard that too. Also of interest is the world famous picture of I.K Brunel standing in front of the chains of the ship Great Eastern. The photos on sale at the SS Great Britain shop in Bristol have been doctored to remove his cigar! In an interview they said that it was bad form to show a famous person smoking because it might encourage youngsters to smoke. Fizzin' idiots!

What about Winston Churchill? ;)

Does anyone remember as far back as when the Memorial Gardens Victoria statue was in Market square?

• 3 months later...

Talking of local nutters iremember a area in nottingham where you could leave your door open all day and all night that area was pretty peaceful generally and mostly kind and honest people lived there. then a bunch of nutters flattened it and replaced it with a ////hole called the new meadows

The QV statue was removed to The Embankment in 1953 and I do remember it in The square, though the Pot Market was a good 20 years before my time!

I can JUST also remember the Walter Fountain before it was taken down in 1950, but of course this was kept alive in memory for uears as a 'bus stop destination.

• 4 months later...

I can JUST also remember the Walter Fountain before it was taken down in 1950, but of course this was kept alive in memory for uears as a 'bus stop destination.

The WALTER fountain: I always thought it was called the WATER fountain. Mam always asked for that when we got the 43 from Trent Bridge, but I could never remember seeing a fountain there, now I know why..

T'was a drinking fountain, it was demolished after a chunk fell off and killed someone ( I think an errant trolley bus pole may have been the guilty party)