Quintino Pelotto - Cafe Royal, Market St.

Hi all,

I’m trying to find information relating to a restaurant in Market Street Nottingham around the year 1900 - 1904. It was run by a family member of mine who I know very little of, his name was Quintino Pelotto, the restaurant was called The Cafe Royal, address 34 Market Street. 
Kelly’s directory shows the restaurant for 1904 but I’d really like to learn when Quintino took over, or maybe bought the place, how long they were in business, anything I can find. I do know they left Nottingham for London, something else I am researching with the help of the Fulham and Hammersmith local authority.
If anyone can send any information, pictures etc or indeed point me in the right direction to research further I would be extremely grateful. I must add I reside outside the UK and therefore at present rely solely on online documents and help from others.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from anyone.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Quintino Pelotto - Cafe Royal, Market St.
On 8/9/2021 at 1:21 AM, Chriss121 said:

It was run by a family member of mine who I know very little of, his name was Quintino Pelotto, the restaurant was called The Cafe Royal, address 34 Market Street. 

I assume you've looked in the local trade directories, but Quintino Pelotto only appears for a few years around 1901-03, so it seems he wasn't there for very long.

By around 1910 there was no longer a restaurant at that address.

Mr Pelotto was there in June 1898 when the freehold of the Cafe Royale was advertised for sale at a rental of £140 rising to £170 per annum .

Can also see mention of an Alfredo Pelotto who is mentioned at 2 different premises in 1902 . The first was 8 Ferry St and the second being the Gladstone Inn at Lower Eldon Street . You would assume he was related ? 

Did Quintina marry a cousin ? There are a couple of births for the couple , Umberto born 1898 , Pimlico and Marie Teresa born 1900 Nottingham .

They give mothers maiden name of Pelotto for both. Quintino and his wife Alexandrino both born Peverone ? Italy .

Presume this was their daughter Maria Teresa's wedding ?

A Parsons Green Wedding ......on Saturday, the Rev. W. S. Carter, D.O, officiating, when the contracting parties were Miss Marie Pelotto, only daughter of Mr. and the late Mrs. Pelotto, of the Albion Hotel, Gillingham-street, Pimlico, and Mr. Albert Noel Butler, youngest son of Mr.  and Mrs Butler of Fulham

11 September 1925 - Chelsea News and General Advertiser - London, London,

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve seen both the photos and was also amazed how similar the buildings were to back in the early 1900’s. I couldn’t read the signage above the first floor window on the recent picture, would be something if it was still the Cafe Royal sign.

Alfredo Pelotto was my Grandfather, who unfortunately I never met, my Grandmother was originally from Nottingham. Alfredo and Quintino were brothers. I have a fair amount of history on Grandad, he was a landlord in both Nottingham and London.

DavidW, where did you find the freehold information please.

Umberto died very young or was a still birth so Ancestry.com tells me.

I still have family in Piverone and was due a trip there only to scuppered by a pandemic… bucket list..

On 8/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, Chriss121 said:

. I couldn’t read the signage above the first floor window on the recent picture, would be something if it was still the Cafe Royal sign.

Now you've mentioned it, it's still there - faded but definitely recognisable. You can see CA and AL, but I'm not sure you'd see RESTAURANT unless you knew what you were looking for.

gi2Mp3A.jpg

• Like 1

I found it via the newspaper archive in my subscription to FMP.

The same database is here , you can view snippets for free but to view full articles you have to pay .

This should link to the two mentions of the sale :

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=q pelotto&somesearch=q pelotto&retrievecountrycounts=false&place=nottingham%2c nottinghamshire%2c england

Oops cant embed you will have to copy and paste .

Hi Chriss121

Quintino Pelotto is my great,great grandfather, I am currently looking into my family tree and would love to link up with you, I have some more information about Quintino’s family and photos which you may be interested in. I would be happy for you to email me at laurenjay_4@hotmail.com

• Like 1