Cafes on Mansfield Road

I was trying to remember the name of one of these at the meet last night.

1960's/70's

The obviouse one was The Elbow cafe ran between Mansfield Road and

Huntigdon street.

And the one I could not remember was 'The Bamboo Cafe' on the left

going up near to Huntingdon Street junction,

Anyone remember these or any more?

What are these two now?

• 1 year later...

Hello and welcome to you in the good ol U.S of A

(I only ever remember going in the Elbow once on the way to or from Goose Fair one year)

I'm Robert Fisher, my Mum and Dad, Bob & Maureen owned The Elbow Cafe.

They both live in the States now, in Oklahoma, I also live in Dallas Taxes, we've all been here for over 30 years.

Lucky bastards, how'd you get the green cards? Or was it easier then?

where is the Elbow Cafe also mentioned...???

Yes, green cards were a lot easier back in the 70's/ 80's.

Played golf today, it was 68 degree's, should be in the mid 70's this weekend, looks like golf again.

I went to school at Elliott Durham in Mappley, anyone else go there...??

Fish. !tanning!

• 1 month later...

Hi Robert (fish66), you wont know me but I knew/know your uncle Frank. He was my dads boss at Grove.

We often used to go to the elbow cafe for our dinners during the week, me, my dad and frank. I was only about 11 or so years old in 65 - I was at the grove most school holidays working for peanuts! - no to be fair Frank did pay me well for the work I did. Lovely dinners at the Elbow cafe btw. You can send my regards to your dad - just tell him it's Ted's lad.

• 2 weeks later...

Mick, here`s a true story from 1960. If the Chinese is the one opposite the entrance to Elm Ave or the Chase or whatever its called(where Hollygirt School is). My mates and I on a Friday lunch used to eat there as a change from College food.

A 3 course fixed menue was 2/6d(yes7 1/2 pence!). On this particular Friday they were very busy and so we left our half crowns under the plate and departed.

2 minutes later we were surrounded by screaming ranting Chinese cooks and waiters with meat cleavers and knives!

We went back with them and showed them where our money was. All quiet.

Heaven knows what would have happened if we really had not paid. !sickly!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ask Bob if he remembers the Corona lads who used to go in the Elbow every morning! (1967 onwards) I remember one Saturday morning John Badcock the Manager stormed in at about 10.30 and gave us all a bollocking!

The "Bamboo" rings a bell. If I remember rightly it was a Beatnick type coffee bar.

I was never actually in it. Just heard of it by reputation.

Dave

I used to go to the bamboo - met some great people and had some good times there. there were several pinball machines and they sold expresso long before I appreciated it!

The son of an old family friend ran the Bamboo Coffee Bar for years.It did well but never became as popular as those in the city centre.It was one of the last to disappear though.

The local cops couldn't wait to get rid of the coffee bars as they were open so late.But instead of drinking coffee and coke all night the kids started using the pubs....Not a good move.

Paul.

Which side of Mansfield Road was the bamboo on?

Anyone remember Nino's - about half way up on the left hand side. It was a bit rough in the early seventies

but developed into a smoother joint over the years before moving into town somewhere near kings/trinity? walk.

Ok thanks both, I had a funny feeling abt the Bamboo but wasn't sure. Yes, I too had many an expresso coffe in the Bamboo, my mates

uncle was the owner when it became Nino's - not sure if he owned it as the Bamboo though, he likely did though as I remember my mother

was a frequenter of the joint and we were friends of the family so it seems to tie up. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
where is the Elbow Cafe also mentioned...???

Yes, green cards were a lot easier back in the 70's/ 80's.

Played golf today, it was 68 degree's, should be in the mid 70's this weekend, looks like golf again.

I went to school at Elliott Durham in Mappley, anyone else go there...??

Fish. !tanning!

Hi there Fish ( ??? )

I too went to Elliot Durham. Moving there from Huntingdon St.

It was brand new then. 1966 I believe.

I was in class 4S2. The form teacher was a Mr Gordon, whom I recall being a bit of a snazzy dresser. And who was in some way connected to the "Beachcomber Club" near hockley.

The head boy was a black guy called Vivien Oliver, who was in the same class. The deputy head boy, (Why did they need a deputy ? ) was a kid called Robert Wakelin. Also in my class, and the only one younger than myself.

My brother Alan also went there, but I cannot recall his class number. But believe it to be 3F.

We lived on Westville St, off Peashill Rd.

I shall not bore you any longer. Do let me know when you were there.

Sorry this appears to be a late response to your original question, but I,ve only just joined the forum.

All the best, Jeff.

I too occasionally went to The Bamboo. I was only about 14 at the time.

One thing I do recall is the juke box in the upstairs section. At the time it was sixpence a go. Though I,ve no idea as to how many "plays" you got for that.

But the two songs that always take me back there are, Hey Jude, The Beatles. And, Those were the days, Mary Hopkin.

The reason being that, as the record being played reached the last few bars, someone would tilt the jukebox forward, causing the stylus to slide noisely to the begining, starting the track all over again. This was repeated untill someone downstairs realised, and charged up, with threats of pulling the plug.

And the mention of Holygirt school also brings back memories of the same period in time, as I was having a fling with the head girl.

Which was quite a result for a lad from Huntingdon St Secondry.

Happy days.

• 5 months later...

Wecome Joe

Try again with the post.

Never saw Jeffs post untill this BUMP.

Juke Boxes early 70's were 6d for one play, or 3 plays for 1/- as I remember?

That's 2.5 or 5 New Pence!

Cheers

Mick