Murder on Moore Road, Mapperley?

Hi all,

Newbie here!  Doing some research on the street that I've moved to, Moore Road just off Porchester Road, and some of the neighbours said there was a murder on this street in the 1970's.  Does anyone know anything about this, when I asked them for more info they didn't really have any!

Cheers!

Hi, Many thanks for the welcomes mary1947 and Will2017!  :)

Will2017 - so there is something to the story, thanks for the info!  You don't happen to know the year or names of anyone involved?  Thinking of going to the archives to see if I can get an old newspaper report or something!

Cheers

I think you'll need to narrow it down a bit from 'the 1970s' if possible.  Evening Post and News was six days a week, so at 300 per year that's 3000 papers to look at!  Central library used to have them all on microfiche; maybe the County Archives have a microfiche copy as well.  Central library didn't reopen since lockdown; the move to the new building at Broadmarsh is pending.  The Archives have limited opening hours at present so you'd need to check before visiting.

There is a web-based newspaper archive that might be worth a try.  It is subscription but does allow searches to help find whether they have what you want.  I have sometimes used that to find the date and then gone for the microfiche.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

12 hours ago, Barrald said:

Hi, Many thanks for the welcomes mary1947 and Will2017!  :)

Will2017 - so there is something to the story, thanks for the info!  You don't happen to know the year or names of anyone involved?  Thinking of going to the archives to see if I can get an old newspaper report or something!

Cheers

Unfortunately I do not any further info.  The EP and N archives would be the most reliable source of info. Good luck in your research. Regards,Will2017.

I couldn't find anything in the online news archives for this . Problem is the Nottingham Evening Post ,on the archive online, only go up to 1950s.

Sometimes if the story is big enough it will be syndicated to other national and regional papers that have been digitised and that show stories from the 60s on.

Using the search term "Moore Road" and "murder"  nothing shows up on any newspaper in the 70s.

Thanks for all the replies and looking in the archives DAVIDW.  Trying to talk to more people on the street to see if they can narrow the search down.  I did find a record of a Lucy Flynn being murdered but that was 1980's and it was listed as Porchester Road so thinking that can't be it.  Will let you all know if I find more info from the neighbours!

There is one reference to the Lucy Flynn murder on Porchester Rd . It was reported in a Liverpool paper in August 1981 .

Might be an idea to join this Mapperley page on Facebook and ask the question about Moore Road.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/303831217328466?group_view_referrer=search

This one ?    https://goo.gl/maps/xz42bbgfCGxN7iC19

That's been empty and boarded up since at least the early 90s.

I think it may be the place where this happened (look at the headline at the top) ........... https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=trevor+leighton+sandford+death&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Like 1

There was some activity there several years, maybe a decade ago.  They cleared some of the garden and created a ramp/driveway down the side of the property from Porchester Road.  The bungalow itself looked dilapidated and I thought it was the start of a redevelopment.  However it didn't progress further and became overgrown again.

The Sandford road bungalow is the location of the deaths of 2 student brothers who died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty boiler.

The boiler had been isolated by a gas engineer, the Landlord allegedly reconnected it.

The bunglaow was boarded up shortly after and hasn't seen the light of day since.

There was planning granted to demolish and using land adjacent on Porchester build 10 flats and the site was put up for sale.

Planning has lapsed and the bungalow and plot were for sale earlier this year, unless it's sold in the last 3 months then it hasn't sold as it doesn't show up on properties sold on Sandford from Land Registry info.

• Like 1

There's a lot more to the story than the deaths and Landlord being fined.

I've not managed to find any reliable info on the Internet to back up what I remember so I won't be posting it.

The original planning approval for the 10 units was 2010 and it was for sale a while after.

So Barrald, you can see how one simple enquiry triggers others' related memories.  This forum has many threads that meander away from the original post, but that's fine - it adds interest.  One can become immersed for hours without realising the passage of time (or is it just me?)

We'll await the results of your door to door enquiries to pull the thread back onto your initial murderous topic!

Hi all,

I have managed to find articles in the Birmingham Post online about the murder.  It seems that the murder occurred on April 1st 1969 where a women by the name of Ann Sheldon was found murdered by her 6 year old daughter at her house on Moore Road.  The murderer was her husband, Dennis Alan Sheldon who strangled her with a length of electrical flex.  He got life for the murder.  Apparently she was found in her bedroom.  There seems to be some suggestion that Ann was working as a prostitute and also that Dennis had only just got out of prison.  Not sure which house it was though as yet!  Does anyone remember any further details about this at all?

• Like 2

Ah that's why I couldn't see anything as it was in the 60s not the 70s.

Theres a Daily Mirror report that the body was found in a bungalow on Moore Rd and the neighbour was called Mrs Violet Hoare . May help ?

Electoral Rolls may not help as the victim had only lived in the property for 2 weeks.

Further to the above , just checked the 1939 Register and a Violet Hoare was living at 8 Moore Road . 

Of course nothing to say she was still in the same house 30 years later . 

Death of an Ann Sheldon was registered September 1969, Nottingham, and shows DOB as 01 May 1941, making her 27 at time of death (if she died April 1969).

Records show birth of an Ann Curd registered in Derby Apr-Jun 1941 and a marriage of Ann Curd to Dennis A Sheldon Apr-Jun 1962 in Derby.  They had a daughter Alison K Sheldon whose birth was registered Jan-Mar 1963 in Derby, making her six at the time of her mother's demise.

There is a Dennis A Sheldon whose birth was registered Jul-Sep 1930, Liverpool (the Liverpool Echo carried the murder article).

All a bit speculative but names/dates fit.