Is it as they say or a petty, punitive move against the showmen for refusing to go along with fences and entrance fees?... 

• Like 1

Goose Fair cancelled is a shame. I see that this is the second year. I was surprised at the comment that less than 50% of Nottingham people haven't been fully vaccinated. From all the news about covid and vaccinations I was under the impression that practically everyone ( except the scaredy cats and those who for medical reasons cant have it) has been vaccinated. 

I’m not surprised it’s been cancelled.  The showmen, James Mellors in particular, will object to the City Council wanting to erect a fence around the fair and charging entrance fee.  The cost of the rides is ridiculously high already and if the public have to fork out to just get in then they won’t have lots of cash to spends on the rides, stalls, chips, hot dogs, candy floss, ginger snap, mushy peas and junk.    The Mellors Group have lost millions due to Covid, with the Beach and Goose Fair cancelled twice and the Christmas Market last year.  

• Like 2

The more I see of the antics of NCC, the more I despair.

Err.. that's one Labour council. The Tories would have probably privatised Goose Fair and sold it to the bloody Chinese by now..

The other thing which bothers me is that the Goose Fair has existed, in some form or other for about 700 years and the NCC antics are not doing that tradition any good.  But then the council has proven for decades that it not only has no interest in preserving culture and tradition..but seems to actively oppose it.

Not 700 years or so consecutively.

GF was cancelled during the great plague of 1646 also during the second World War as well.

Three cancellations in seven hundred years ain't bad going by any standard.

NCC got their fingers burned by OKing the Winter Wonderland Chrisrmas festival last December during the pandemic & had to cancelled that event after one day.

Allowing GF to go ahead this year would be nothing short of criminal.

As well as the mis-management of Nottingham City tax-payers money that has previously been mentioned enough times on here (and elsewhere) I now hear that the Fletcher Gate multi-storey car park has scaffolding erected at a probable cost of £10,000 so that the outside walls can have graffiti daubed all over it.  Who wanted that?   

• Like 2