I'm surprised there have been no comments on the ending of Paul Robey's show on Notts TV on Sunday, a reincarnation of his show on Radio Nottingham of course. (It could well be that l just can't locate them). IMHO as they say. Radio Nottm and Radio 2 seem to have the same playlist and play nothing recorded before about 1990, usually by shouty young women. Paul Robey seems to be busy with Boom Radio and Serendipity Radio but you seem to need a new-fangled type of radio to receive them.  What on earth is a smart speaker?

Smart speaker is probably one that charges itself or nips to the shops for new batteries all by itself. Hoomans are now surplus to requirements. Glad to help Newarker.  ☺

2 hours ago, Newarker said:

What on earth is a smart speaker

That'll be the one wearing a collar and tie...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Newarker said:

I'm surprised there have been no comments on the ending of Paul Robey's show on Notts TV on Sunday, a reincarnation of his show on Radio Nottingham of course. 

As I’ve commented before, Paul Robey’s Sunday lunchtime TV programme is of no interest to me, I have only watched it a couple of times.  I don’t have time to sit and watch TV at that time of day and to be honest I think Paul is good on the radio but not a good TV presenter.  

We have a 'smartspeaker'.  It is an 'Alexa type' device called an Amazon Echo Dot which was bought for us by our daughter last Christmas.  I have to admit that I sent her a message saying 'Thanks for the lovely Echo Dot.. what is it? :wacko:'

To some extent they are what you choose to make of them.  They connect to your home network/pc etc.. via Wi-Fi..or Blutooth..or summat.. and will respond to voice commands.  They will play music if you ask them.. but much depends on whether you already have a subscription to a music 'streaming' service.  They can..I believe... be set up to control your 'smart' devices.. such as lighting, heating and other environmental controls.

They will also connect to online sales/delivery services etc.

In our case.. I mostly just ask 'Alexa..outside temperature?' whereupon she tells me the current temp and expected high.. or low. depending on time of day.

If I have any orders in with Amazon  'Alexa..where's my stuff?' will elicit an update on delivery status of my order.. which is handy.

And of course you can just ask 'Alexa..pease explain Einstein's theory of Relativity'.. which she will do.....

Whilst the sound quality from a little device not much bigger than a doughnut is OK..ish.. it is unlikely to replace my full on poncy hi-fi any time soon.

DJ so have we . I use it to do a shopping list which then goes onto my phone. very useful sometimes. Love playing 50's and 60's music.

• Like 1

We have our Alexa device in the kitchen and subscribe to Amazon prime which gives us any music we care to ask it to play , usually whilst cooking.

We also use "her" for timing whilst preparing food  , I.e. "Alexa set timer for 25 mins"

You can also use it as a free video phone for family and friends ( models with a screen ) as long as they have a similar device.

Mines also linked to our front door security camera though the picture is on a slight delay to be of much use .

• Like 1

I feel as though l have been left hopelessly behind. l don't even have a doorbell never mind a security  camera and you would have to mind your Ps and Qs with Alexa otherwise who knows what might happen. 

l also enjoyed Paul Robey more on the wireless but it was hard to see the pictures. 

Don't feel deprived, Newarker. I do have a doorbell but I don't have any of these IT gadgets one speaks to. I talk to myself! It's the only time I hear anything sensible!

Einstein's theory of relativity? It's a bit old hat and may even be wrong. Of course anyone mentioning Pythagoras Theorem round here would be speedily smashed with a ball pein hammer. Especially if it had an Irish accent! :rolleyes:

And bear in mind those Smart Gadgets can be hacked - and often are, because security on some of them is non-existent.

So someone in Beijing can see who's ringing your doorbell; and someone in Nigeria can tell your Alexa to send details of your bank accounts...etc etc

CT if you have a processor made in China, and you will have, there is no way to know just what information it's collecting and passing on. The hoobra about Huawei was due to the suspicion it provdided a 'back door' into sensitive systems and the consequent security risks

On 8/21/2021 at 11:02 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Has anyone tried asking Alexa "Get rid of the bits in Nottstalgia that I'm not interested in" ?

Isn't it easier to tell us what youre not interested in and then we can all stop posting:victory:

Along with asking Alexa "how do you say "The cats in the coal in German" then translate it in Italian. ( de katz in de cule") sorry my german is non existent and the spelling is probably wrong. The answer is rude.

We do have a doorbell, a common or garden doorbell that when it rings you can hear it 10 km away. Its so loud and we cant lower the tone of it. Good job we dont have too many neighbours.