I did Iandawson; 1953-59 they were curious years, learnt some good things and some very odd things.

Had some good friends that I left and lost at the age of 11yrs.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was at a farm strip at Park Farm, Kirby Bellars near Melton Mowbray. It was a difficult landing as the strip undulated. I knew I wouldn’t make it so I decided to go around and try again. Unfortunat

I was at the Becket in the early 1970s. Engineer and others  above got it pretty much right. Some adds and a few repeats:  Mr. Harrington, Physics and a much younger Physics teacher whose

The Becket School closed its two/three? former premises and moved to the new Becket School at Gresham Fields in Wilford in 2009, Rob. The original sites are marked for redevelopment. The new school wi

• 4 months later...

I remember Becket School on Wilford Lane joined with Corpus Christi on Ruddington Lane in the mid 70's when the comprehensive system came in, I think Becket was the grammar school and corpus the secondary modern but the new system brought it all together is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the " new" system did that ...............

I was at the Becket having passed the 11+ it was all down hill after that.................

• 6 months later...

You must have some storage facilities.

All my stuff was ditched within a year of leaving.

I walked down the embankment the other day and thought it strange that the old place had gone.

A few weeks later drove past the new place and was impressed.

I was a Becket boy from 62 to 66, also became a choirboy at St Barnabas Cathedral, Mr Smedley was the Choirmaster. Our art teacher was Mr Chamberlain, & our feared PE teacher (torturer) was Mr Cullen, he'd kick a football very hard at your thighs (ouch!!) if you weren't playing well!!

13 hours ago, Paulus said:

I was a Becket boy from 62 to 66, also became a choirboy at St Barnabas Cathedral, Mr Smedley was the Choirmaster. Our art teacher was Mr Chamberlain, & our feared PE teacher (torturer) was Mr Cullen, he'd kick a football very hard at your thighs (ouch!!) if you weren't playing well!!

I remember Mr Chamberlain.  Think he was my form tutor in 1x.  Called us by first names and we called him Tom.  Most odd at the time in a very formal disciplined establishment.

• Upvote 1

Yes I remember Tom Chamberlain  (Art)  and Jo Carberry (Chemistry)  though don't remember him being tall.

The tall guy may have been someone Williams?  it will come to me sometime later on today..........

Loved Latin - no exceptions to rules (as far as I can remember). You knew where you were with it - and no apostrophes and other stuff to think about.  Something I've often wondered. ... did you pronounce the 'v' as a 'w' - we had to, but some I've spoken to said they didn't!

I never did Latin at school (I wasn't in the A stream!). However my boys took it and I learnt a little bit from sitting on their beds helping with revision.  Can't say any of us remember much now though. 

Very logical language, economical with words too, which doesn't always describe me!

Very useful to know Latin I've always found. You can ask awkward questions of those in authority...Qui custodies custodiet?....and they don't usually know what you mean!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
On 30/11/2016 at 8:52 AM, siddha said:

Yes I remember Tom Chamberlain  (Art)  and Jo Carberry (Chemistry)  though don't remember him being tall.

The tall guy may have been someone Williams?  it will come to me sometime later on today..........

Mr Carberry had two sons I think.  One was a doctor (in Bulwell) and the other a dentist?  He was average height, elderly and bespectacled.  Mr Williams taught English; his nickname was 'Junky Bill' (can't imagine why!).  Don't recall him being tall either.  There was Mr Mattocks (PE) - think he was tall (well taller than the other PE/geog teacher Mr Ford).  Also for geog or history was Miss/Mrs Brent.  There was another female: Mrs Ackfield (Granny Ackers) - can't remember what she taught, probably history or geography.  Mr Bagguley was woodwork in that loft above the wood shed, Mr Stanley for music (upstairs, near the library).  Arrogant Mr Jacques for French (poseur with a gown).  Mr Koch (Polish?) for maths.  Mr Faulkner for French.

One of the 'fathers' (Aquinas?) taught biology - told us on Day 1 that he was deaf in one ear and couldn't tell which direction sound came from - cue my music box mechanism (Old Macdonald had a farm) in a 2oz tobacco tin that we passed from one boy to the next!  Another of the 'fathers' was the bursar - always smoking a pipe - what was his name?

Fr Roger Killeen (aka The Horse) was Headmaster.  Bit of a history of being over-the-top disciplinarian (it's out there if you look at Hitchin College website).

Deputy head was John/Jack Douglas (lived in Rivermead flats, just up Wilford Lane).

Latin was from a course of booklets, 'The Cambridge Latin Course', all kept in a plastic wallet bearing the words "Quid Novi" (what's new).  Main character was Caecilius and there was Grumio, the cook (anyone who watches 'Plebs' will know that name).  Our Latin teacher was Mr Coxon but there was also a Mr Quinn (Latin and/or Greek?).

John Carberry was the dentist son. He was my dentist for many years from when he'd first graduated and joined a practice on Mansfield Road near the junction of Woodborough Road. He then moved to his own practice on Ragdale Road in Bulwell.  Fantastic dentist and a lovely man.  When I moved away from Nottingham I continued to come up to see him every six months for a check-up.  His son now runs the practice.  

Funny our Engineer remembers Jacques.. my Mum fancied him!!

True about the gown..thanks for that.

One morning he pulled me over the coals for not having done my homework..

" what's the excuse Dawson"?

"My Mum & Dad were fighting in the sitting room sir"

That cemented a great relationship that lasted after school.......Faulkner was a Nazi!

I remember Fr Aquinas, Mr Welton (English), Tom Chamberlain, Mr Chips Bagguley, Fr Francis (Head?), Mr Gillett (Geography), Mr Cullen (PE & Torture).................

• 6 months later...

There's an article in the Nottingham Post regarding a teacher from the Becket School. I realise that many of you wouldn't have been there at the same time as him but it's possible your children/grandchildren may have been.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/retired-teacher-who-arranged-child-sex-abuse-in-philippines-jailed-for-life/story-30394076-detail/story.html