Plastic surgeon Southwell stabbing.

12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Yet more terrible news from a place where you don't expect it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-55663038

This is quite close to me, about 4 miles away. More details have emerged and it’s really quite shocking. The victim is a recently retired plastic surgeon and a former colleague has been arrested. Turns out that the suspect sued the health authority and failed. His appeal then failed too and he had to pay substantial legal costs. The victim was his boss at the time. They lived within a few miles of one and other. 

To get some background on this story google ‘Jonathan Brooks surgeon’. You can read about his NHS whistleblowing and his suspension. There’s a lot behind this story. He was obviously a very bitter man who may or may not have received fair treatment. There’s no excuse for his actions but it does show what might have lead to it. He also has a website where he talks about his suspension from the private sector. The whole saga would make the basis for a film script. The trial will be very interesting and I can see a lot of mud being thrown. This matter may be sub judice so perhaps detailed comment on a public forum may be inappropriate.

49 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

To get some background on this story google ‘Jonathan Brooks surgeon’. You can read about his NHS whistleblowing and his suspension. There’s a lot behind this story. He was obviously a very bitter man who may or may not have received fair treatment. There’s no excuse for his actions but it does show what might have lead to it. He also has a website where he talks about his suspension from the private sector. The whole saga would make the basis for a film script. The trial will be very interesting and I can see a lot of mud being thrown. This matter may be sub judice so perhaps detailed comment on a public forum may be inappropriate.

Agreed Phil.

I posted a summary of what’s in a National newspaper but perhaps best to wait to the full story emerges which, I agree, will be very interesting. 

It’s in The Times today and I saw it online in the Sun yesterday. The Newark Advertiser site appears to have pulled the story. There are rules about what can be published pre trial by newspapers so as not to influence juries but I think we can speculate without fear of conviction. Tongues will certainly be wagging in Halam and Southwell!

Re the stabbing, it's tragic not only for the victim but will surely mean an inglorious end to someone's career, if true.  I suppose when someone has become obsessed with what they see as injustice and have lost all perspective, they are on a very dangerous slope.  It wouldn't be the first time, nor the last.

You’ve obviously read the background information and can see the 

possible motif for the alleged crime. The guy must have been distraught to have lost jobs in both the public and private sectors. I’ve never been happy about surgeons having the sinecure of the NHS and doing lucrative private work on the side. I don’t know how widely the NHS service contracts are drafted. The forthcoming trial my throw some light on the subject. Obviously it will be some months ahead but the suspect will, no doubt, remain in custody as there seems very little to investigate other than motif.

A terrible thing to happen to anybody no matter who they are and what they do. The terrible thing isnthat if you hear a noise during the night what do you do? You investigate don't you? You don't expect someone to raise a gun or knife at you. There's enough violence in the world. Of course the family is " upset" but haven't the journalists got any sort of feelings for this distraught family. It annoys me when here as well when they a report  a crime. Especially if someone has died, " And how do you feel" they say. How the hell do they think they feel. Sorry. I believe they've caught the aggressor. Hope so and give him maximum sentence.

Well I am!  Used to take the Telegraph every day but when my husband was working overseas for weeks at a time I was so busy keeping everything running in the home and office I never even opened it so changed to the Mail as it had more pictures to look at!!  Have never got around to changing back although the Telegraph is so expensive now, can’t afford it! 
We have the Sunday Times which really gives enough reading to last the whole week but we like to keep the paper boy in employment .....

I read that the accused in the stabbing of the surgeon in Halam last week was charged yesterday with attempted murder, carrying a knife and three charges of attempted arson. The plot thickens. He’s due to appear in the magistrates court this morning. This is going to be interesting.

I was quite surprised to read about the attempted arson charges.  Looks like this has been festering for a very long time.  It's so sad that a career has gone down the drain over it.  I suppose, if you're not actually working in the environment, one tends not to realise that professional rivalry and jealousy are alive and well in the medical profession. Friends of mine who worked in hospitals have often recounted tales of prima donna behaviour and tantrums amongst consultants.

I've witnessed it myself in the teaching profession, usually from those who have never worked in any other sphere.  Their behaviour is sometimes more puerile  than their reception class charges.

At the end of the day, we're only human beings and, as is often said, there's a savage beneath the surface! :wacko:

I was surprised about the arson accusation. The hearing is this morning. I’ll be interested to hear how the accused pleads. It would appear he was mentally disturbed at the time of the deed. I think there’s quite a backlog in the courts presently so it may be some time before the case comes to trial.

Regarding the recent events in Halam, I feel so sad for the victim, his family and also the accused and HIS family.  He looks a very kind and caring man to me but he obviously had serious issues chewing away at him to leave home in the middle of the night to attempt murder.  Such a shame. 

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

A plastic surgeon charged with attempted murder of a fellow doctor has appeared in court today (Tuesday 31st August 2021).

Jonathan Peter Brooks, 56, of Landseer Road, Southwell, appeared at Nottingham Crown Court for legal arguments.

He is further charged with attempted arson with intent to endanger life and possession of a bladed article in a public place.

Brooks has been remanded over an incident in which Graeme Perks suffered stab wounds at his home in Halam Hill, Halam, at 4.15am on Thursday, January 14.

Recorder of Nottingham His Honour Judge Gregory Dickinson QC agreed an extension to the custody time limit from September 13 to September 27, when the trial is listed for.

Brooks will next appear at crown on Monday, September 20.