Plastic surgeon Southwell stabbing.

I do have scant background information on this fellow.  It’s worth googling ‘Jonathan Peter Brooks. Fitness to Practise’  

Or, (having just googled it myself,) more specifically ‘Mr J Brooks v NUH’  

• 10 months later...

The trial of defendant Jonathan Peter Brooks is due to get underway at Nottingham Crown Court this week. Plastic surgeon Brooks, 56, of Landseer Road, Southwell, appeared in court this afternoon (Monday, July 11) before jury selection begins. 

Brooks, wearing a cream-coloured suit, pale pink tie and pale blue shirt, is representing himself at trial. However, Stephen Leslie QC, is a court-appointed advocate who will give Brooks assistance in the cross-examination of five witnesses.

I was wondering how this case was progressing.

He's taking a risk in defending himself. Every man to his trade, as they say...well, they did before equal opps  landed.

He'll probably get stitched up by the prosecution.

Reading the details of his previous appeal as referred to by @LizzieM last August he's a very bitter man. I think we're going to get some some dirt dug on the NHS surgeons who augment their meagre salaries with private work! Attempted murder, three counts of arson with intent to endanger the lives of three people and possession of a knife in a public place. If anyone needs a good lawyer he does!

As of August last year, he did have a barrister, Vanessa Marshall QC, representing him.  Wonder why he is now representing himself?  Surely he has the wherewithall to pay for counsel?  Was the initial advice (probably "you should reconsider your plea") not what he wanted to hear?

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

If anyone needs a good lawyer he does!

I don't think so................  a magician may be more use...

• 1 month later...

I've been searching for this. It dropped off the radar on 26th of July. The trial was scheduled to last for about four weeks and that time has since expired. I can only guess that a reporting embargo was ordered by the judge. There have been no listings for the case at Nottingham Crown Court. There is no report of a verdict so I presume the case is continuing under a reporting embargo. No doubt once a verdict has been reached it will be blasted all over the news media. If anyone knows anything about the current proceedings it would be best not to publish it as that could lead to a heavy fine  or even a prison sentence under the contempt of court rules.

I wondered if that was the case but was doubtful as…..I cannot see why this should be and am a little surprised it’s apparently going on for so long. 
Still, I expect we’ll find out soon enough.

Even if it was Judge, Jury member or Defendant that was ill and the trial suspended, I'm sure it would have been announced.

As you've said, nothing appears to have been reported after the 26th.

I've tried using VPN and searching in Countries outside the U.K in case there were restrictions here, but nothing shows any later than the 26th.

I’ve just read that the jury in this trial has been discharged and a date for a new trial is to be fixed. This gets more and more intriguing. There are no further details so far.

Update. A further hearing on Oct 17th and the trial to start afresh next year.