New British tennis star.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She has chosen to represent Britain and we should be thankful.  She's a brilliant talent.

Emma Raducanu and her parents have lived in the UK since she was 2 years old. That makes her British enough by my standards..

She has done exceptionally well and irrespective of her background should be looked on as a British success. We have painfully few successes in tennis and now we have a bright new talent all people ca

Posted Images

I did notice the lack of integration when I was in Ontario a few years back. The Polish and Czech immigrants knew each other, but the Italians tended to keep to their own. And they all had their own communities and shops. My father in law got on with all of them because he was born in Poland near the Czech border, and spent a lot of time in Italy at the end of the war, so was fluent in all three languages (as well as English).

That’s normal wherever you live, my brother-in-law moved to Canada in 1967 and his close friends have always been Brits. Our friends who live in Spain always hang out with other Brits, mostly Nottingham folk too. Our Czech daughter-in-law’s best friends are all Czech or Polish.  It’s like a comfort blanket.  Drive through Hyson Green or other areas of Nottingham and see the different nationalities stick together.  
None of us can say we haven’t got some foreign blood in us …… apparently I’m only 58% English and even have a touch of Arab in me! 
Let’s just rejoice that this beautiful, bright, athletic young woman has learnt her wonderful talent while living in England and has become such a star in a very short time.

• Like 4

My cousin in Prince George, British Columbia has integrated well. In fact, she has formerly adopted 3 native Canadians, one girl and twin boys, all with learning disabilities, can't remember which tribes they are from. She did say that the tribe elders and chiefs were reluctant to allow adoption

as they would lose the government grant/payment that they make to atone for the way they treated the Indians in the past. (if that makes sense).

5 hours ago, radfordred said:

Can I request the 1st post in this tread removed?

No sir. I abhor censorship and people have a right to their opinion unless it's actually illegal. Never had you down as one of the PC brigade RR.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I don't consider my remarks were controversial. It was just a statement of the facts. However I'm always happy to stir things up! :biggrin:

In that case Monseiur, can you pop round and give my pan of stew a stir....please.:rolleyes:

It is a source of endless fascination to me that we 'Brits' seem to have the idea that we are racially pure. 

Just off the top of my head..

Angles

Saxons

Vikings

Lord knows how many different 'pan European/Asian' types recruited into the Roman occupiers.

Normans

Waves of immigrants from all over Europe..then later Africa and Asia.

Yep.. we are as pure as the driven mud.

• Like 2

We’re obviously not racially pure but we haven’t had an invasion since 1066, if you discount the brief Battle of Fishguard. As such we have had many years to meld and assimilate, although we still have many regional variations plus the Welsh, Scots and the Irish. Whether in the next thousand years the current influx of Asian and Afro American immigrants will be assimilated by interbreeding remains to be seen. If we go by the television commercials we all currently have a partner from an immigrant background.

• Like 1

Remember sitting in a coffee shop in Alum Rock Birmingham about 71........and this was playing on the Juke box........i was the only 'Whitey' in the place.........and all were very friendly.......they took a Pinch of white skin''

• Like 1