• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For "Our Ben"   They seek him here, they seek him there His clothes are loud, but never square It will make or break him so he's got to buy the best 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of

You've inspired me, Oz.   One of my parents' favourite songs was Dancing in the Dark (Fred Astaire). As it was a foxtrot, it was also one of their favourite dances.   I've adapted

Dance Duck? these are my charity shop shoes.....how could you turn me down......... 

Since my youngest days I've always been very aware of music of all kinds, classical, pop, rock, etc etc, and I like it all.....but I've never been a dancer, even for a few seconds.

I honestly wouldn't know where or how to start....and it's too late now anyway.

When younger (I WISH)    a few drinks and i would dance anywere,  not yet caught up with my daughter in law after a few (Pam ) she would sometimes dance on the nearest pub table. One day some one put it on facebook, she got a phone from her father, who in so many words told her if he saw her dancing on a pub table again he would never speak to her ever.   A bit harsh has he never been young?

Vic/Locarno, Woodthorpe Park in the shelter on summer evenings, once in a Mansfield pub, once in a cinema aisle, couple of times at Nottm Palais, Mansfield Palais, Leicester Palais - and anywhere there was room near a jukebox really as long as one of my friends would dance with me!

Nowadays, I just dance along to Alexa at  home!!!

• Like 1

On my wanderings in younger days stayed away a lot...........and even in some quite obscure places usually found a place to dance..............Atherstone in Warwickshire was one such in about 1963.....the locals had a ''take your pick'' night......four of us from Nottingham were staying in a crappy pub on the main street ...so we went along.......turned out to be a real 'Michael Miles'' take your pick night.........with everyone enjoying a Dance after ''Take your pick'' finished.........was a bit like 'Grab a Grannie'' but we had a good time and took our pick.......one of the lads started 'courting' a local girl.......and the crazy thing is bumped into them both about 15 years ago in Bulwell.......they had got married in 66 and were still together living in Aspley...........

• Like 4

Dance on' Duck ?

Remember dancing to this down the 'Palais' when i was Eighteen.......1963 what a year...........

Made relief Manager at Marsdens/Farrands...

Travelled to far-a-way exotic places....like Tibshelf...Chesterfield..and Worksop.........

Had my first Car and a company Van........the world was my 'Lobster'

Was allowed to wear a Managers short white coat and a 'Dickie'.......thought i was the 'Dogs' lol...

Found out the girls spoke with funny accents north of Bulwell....they reckoned i was 'Posh' from Notts..(as they called it)

Loads of dates and plenty of Dancing in the Pubs of Derbys and North Notts.....1963 A TRULY GREAT YEAR....

• Like 4

Wow!  You made me sign in, Ben.  Good post.

1963 Was a great year.  Met the first Mrs. L at the YMCA Monday night dance.  Married for 33 great years.  I'd be married to her yet if she'd lived.  Enjoyed Nottingham in the 60s.

• Like 2

Met my first wife in a 'Marsdens' shop

Second in a 'Savemore''

Third in a VG store..

thinking of getting a job at 'Tesco'':rolleyes:

Nice to hear from you Loppy..........can;t beat a romantic memory or two......not much romance on here lately...its all politics and computers.......;)

• Like 1

Aye-up Ben.  I enjoy the romantic stuff.  It was always happy enough for me.  Big song in our day was,  'Then he kissed me.'  She really nailed me that night, never forgot it.  Lol 

When we got our first dog he was a nipper.  We still used to sing that song, but changed the words, to Then he bit me.

Still can't hear it without tearing up so won't try to link it.

• Like 2

Thanks Jill.  Still a bit of life in the owd dog.  Jake is now 11,  he's caught me up.  Much whiter in the face and ears, but he still runs as fast as ever.  I can't.

I was just wondering if Ben could outrun Maude these days.  Whaddya think, Ben?

• Like 1