It was quite common, years ago, to see very young girls dancing en pointe. It was a taboo subject with my teacher who would not permit anyone under the age of 12 years to start pointe work and then only those who had been taking ballet classes since they were very young and had the necessary strength in their legs. Most of us were well in our teens by the time we started pointe work and then it was a very gradual process.

Even so, most of us ended up with damaged feet. Even now, I still occasionally wake up in the night screaming because all the tendons in my foot have gone into spasm. It happens far less frequently now but it surely hurts. No doubt the pointe work was responsible!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For "Our Ben"   They seek him here, they seek him there His clothes are loud, but never square It will make or break him so he's got to buy the best 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of

You've inspired me, Oz.   One of my parents' favourite songs was Dancing in the Dark (Fred Astaire). As it was a foxtrot, it was also one of their favourite dances.   I've adapted

Dance Duck? these are my charity shop shoes.....how could you turn me down......... 

On 10/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Tap shoes. I'll bet there are loads of them in Bulwell!

Thought i had found some great Dance shoes in Charity shop in Bulwell yesterday Jill.............turned out not Dance' shoes.......but looked great.....Winkle type in black...with red and yellow patterns stitched in......looked like just been repaired too.......

Regret not buying em now ..my size as well plus good price.........if they still there monday think i'll have em.....you see me coming wearing them....:)

• Like 1

No taps on the soles? Never mind, you could always buy some.  Can you still buy segs?  I think the days of things like that went with the throwaway society.  When I was little, if it wore out, you mended it!  I'm afraid I'm still the same. It's the way I was brought up.

Can't teach this girl anything about recycling.

Let me know when you've got your tap shoes, Ben. We'll have a dance down 42nd Street!

• Like 1

Had some Segs put on some black shoes from the Cobbler up the alley in Bulwell some years ago...........still recall clip-clopping round the streets of a nice Quarter in Amsterdam in them.......long story but them shoes i think are still in Amsterdam............lol

Here you go Jill...........if i buy the shoes i'll have some 'Segs' fixed on them.............get owt in Bulwell ya know

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I used to know Sir Gordon Hobday, one of the Ibuprofen developers and one time chairman of Boots. He used to sole and heel his own shoes as indeed did I. The way they’re made now makes it impossible and they last so much longer anyway.

I always buy quality shoes with leather soles. I stick rubber soles when they’ve worn a bit. Last pair I had lasted 7 years and that’s worn everyday. In fairness health issues mean I don’t walk far but the current shoes I’ve had about 2 years. I paid £265 for them but if they last 7 years it’s pretty cheap going. I used to put the heels on but take them to the cobblers now as they make a better job than I can. 

• Like 1

Been for Breakfast in Bulwell this morning.....and found the 'Shoes' i saw the other day.in the 'Charity shop'''........black with yellow stitching....fit perfect.......Brand new leather soles and heels' so i guess the previous owner no longer with us.......

Fit perfect just right for Dancing......girl in shop promised me a Dance if i go back wearing em...........:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I went to a few charity shops yesterday and bought some lovely stuff including a denim skirt which looks as good as new.  I like buying from these shops because firstly, the charity benefits, and secondly I can usually get better stuff than what I would buy in a normal shop!