I knew what a croggie  was :) 

many’s the time I’ve heard the lads call to each other “Giz a croggie”

I never accepted whenever I was asked if I wanted a croggie!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For "Our Ben"   They seek him here, they seek him there His clothes are loud, but never square It will make or break him so he's got to buy the best 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of

You've inspired me, Oz.   One of my parents' favourite songs was Dancing in the Dark (Fred Astaire). As it was a foxtrot, it was also one of their favourite dances.   I've adapted

Dance Duck? these are my charity shop shoes.....how could you turn me down......... 

Meanwhile back up North.........any age...size.....shape....just do it........love them 'Baggy pants''

At the time, I was never into Northern Soul, my musical interests were in other directions. But there's a documentary on the subject which I've seen a couple of times and is worth watching.

As well as the music, it's very atmospheric for showing life in the late 1970s.........a bit gloomy and grim.

• Like 1

What an excellent Documentary Kev........really tells the story of some great music..times..places and people.......could feel the times that were not just ''Northern'' but parts of Notts too....especially the ''Mining area's''.......Gloomy and Grim in parts Yes.........but so real..........

Always recal lthe steps to downstairs being at the rear of the building in the Metal Mickey days. Just a man behind a till.

Later, entrance to downstairs was just left of the main upstairs entrance, this had a kiosk and possibly a small cloakroom, struck me as being the original?

Ithis had blocked off behind fire doors

This was the time of a Reservoir Dogs mutual.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever i'm feeling low or a bit miserable i watch something like this.........best therapy going.............

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Danced to this in a Pub in ''Tuesday Market place'' Kings Lynn'' about 1974.......great beat of the 'Hollies''...........

Hard to believe nearly 50 years ago.......and the Hollies are now nearly 80...........

• 3 weeks later...

Great voice of Barry.........shades of 'Bodega' sunday nights in the 60s...........her name was 'Trina'..........she worked in 'Lyons'

She did the 'Cha Cha'........at the Bodega.............

I do too Jill............:)   was just listening to Barry and waxing lyrical again about far off nights in town........

His name was Ben, O, 
The friendly grocer.
He worked at Marsden's with his chums
When he wasn't pinching bums!
He was, it's rumoured,
The housewife's favourite.
They loved the way he handled cans,
Cos he's got at least ten hands!

'Just leave your order book
And I'll be round, me duck!
When your hubby's gone down the pub
You won't believe your luck!

Down at Farrand's, Vernon's and Marsden's,
He often spends half the night in their gardens!
Slides down the drainpipe,
Minus his bridge rolls.

Ben rolls the bacon
He's stirred but not shaken,
Cos it's Marsden's....
Quality goods.....

• Like 5
Cue Barry.....

Her name was Lizzie.
She'd shopped at Harrod's!
Al Fayed stocked the grub she liked
But he hadn't got a bike!

Stuffed in the basket,
Posh tinned Beluga
Boiled ham, smoked salmon, wholemeal bread
And...for the budgie in her shed (!!)
A massive box of Trill
It gives her such a thrill...

When Ben delivers the goods
Who gives a damn about the bill?

Shop at Marsden's, Farrand's and Vernon's.
You don't get that service from Burton's!
Handsome shop boy, complete with bike clips.

Sweaty and damp...
Surely beats Green Shield stamps.

Get down to Marsden's
Just ask for Ben...
  • Like 2

Bit quiet on here.....so thought we'd have a bit of ''Yankee Doodle'' from the great 'Actor' and 'Dancer'' Mr Cagney.......

He came to London just to ride the ''Pony's''.

Had a suit like that when i moved to Peterborough in the 70s....................went down well Saturday nights.......think it was the only one in Town............only one nightclub there as well.........

Annabels...........met John Barnwell there one night...said he was ''looking for players''........offered my services......but nowt ever came of it......

• Like 1

I see in New Zealand they're playing Barry Manilow recordings on a loop to disperse parliament protesters! Our Ben wouldn't approve of that.

I thought it was classical music that is generally played to persuade people not to congregate in places where they aren't desired.