• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RR you should try being married to a veggie. Mrs C won't make me a bacon sandwic

Wrong! 

Just finished sorting this evenings dinner. Two Vegan, one vegetarian and two omnivores(guess which I am?) and all meals taken on the hoof at different times. I started thinking about Sunday dinn

4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Two Vegan, one vegetarian and two omnivores

They came to their senses during lockdown! now it's one vegetarian and the rest omnivores.

Getting over a stinking cold at the moment. Flu jab on the 30th October this year - earliest they could do it.

Keeping away from the world for now.

We are not vegan or vegetarian but the more meat or chicken is mentioned we both say noooo.  We are now finding meals without meat is tastier more fulfilling than meat and two veg. My husband has decided that he wants to lose his belly and lower considerably his glucemic level. He is slowly succeeding and of course weight goes down. He never liked integral products but not he looks for them.

Bramley apples, we cant get them here either but years ago in Nottingham I asked about one that would support the

temperatures here. I was told that it wouldnt survive. We do have a very good cooking apple but whilst Bramleys keep their shape once cooked these dont and go mushy which is fine if you want them like that. We do have another too but its very bitter and is usually preserved with other things, but can't  think of the name of it. Bet when ive posted I'll  remember it. 

I seldom eat meat because I do not like it particularly (a bacon sarnie is tempting)

More importantly the survival of the world and all its wonders needs us to move towards a plant based diet.

I try to make my very small contribution to that movement.

It has to happen!

• Like 1

I'm not against going to 100% vegetable food if that's what it has to be, but in all the shouting about it people are doing I've not seen any proposals, let alone realistic proposals as to where all these millions of tons of vegetables are going to be grown or however much it needs to be to feed 100% of the population.

A good proportion of farmland is too hilly to use or too wet or too dry or at risk of flooding.

What happens when we get hot summers or cold winters or wet either, as apparently that's what's coming.

Is the plan to concrete over existing level farmland and build massive sheds to grow it in?

I can see that annoying a few groups of people.

Where's all the energy coming from to heat and light them, we won't have any spare when all the cars, lorries trains, HGV's etc are electric.

• 1 year later...

I am a vegetarian, I eat animals that eat grass

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Had my first ever vegan Sunday Dinner

RR, For some reason I can never see the pictures that you post. What is in a vegan Sunday Dinner? Is it chickpeas and lentils pretending to be beef and how do you make proper gravy without the juices from the meat?

I also don't understand why they make so much effort making meat substitutes taste like meat, is it so that us carnivores might want to eat it?

I'm not vegan but I do not eat meat of any kind. That said, I don't want to eat vegetarian food that has been contrived to look like meat. I rarely eat out because I don't trust those who run such establishments not to put meat-derived ingredients in my food. I haven't eaten meat for 45 years and rarely ate it before I became a vegetarian. 

Jill I understand your concern and agree with it. Here by law anything that isn’t obvious by looking at it has to have ALL the ingredients listed either on packets or at the counter. Food controls go down very heavily by not abiding the law which is very comforting to know.

I have tried various pub sunday dinners (not lunches ) but prefer my missus' dinners. Usually four veg, beef and Yorkshires. I told her it was better than eating out and she just said I am tight.We were both right for a change.

• Like 1

Eating out these days is a ripoff. Most pub meals are bought in and heated up or they’ve got a fancy chef that wants to be ‘creative’ with the menu. Home cooking is always the best. My wife’s a gourmet cook and I’m a gourmet eater. It’s a marriage made in heaven!

• Like 1