How are the tomato plants coming along?

Home grown always taste better than the perfect supermarket tomato.

I'm trying some new varieties this year...

Brown Berry

Black Cherry

Super Marmande

Yellow Perfection

What are your favourite varieties?

Mine havent grown in a while, only a few inches tall! hoping theyll have a growth spurt, iv been growing them for years and usually i have little green ones sprouting by now!

Mick, try your Black Cherry with Mature chedder cheese on toast they have a real bite when cooked.

This year its 6 Sungold, 2 Tumbler in hanging baskets, 2 Green Zebra, 2 Black Cherry, and 2 unknown, given the seeds for free.

Guess you can say I like my toms.

Colin

I have kept it simple after a disastrous year with exotic tomato varieties in 2012. I have 12 Shirley and 39 Alicante plus one Sungold seed saved from last year to see if it comes anything like a sungold. Last year's sungold seeds were saved from 2011 and tthy all looked like sungold but the skins were a little thicker.

I have twelve cucumbers of two varieties. Again I have gone for established varieties Marketmore and Burpless Tasty Green because my exotics failed last year.

Should grow true from seed as long as not F1 Hybrid.

Put some Basil seed in a tray, whole packet, nothing came up? Same with Cue seeds I planted?

Should grow true from seed as long as not F1 Hybrid.

Put some Basil seed in a tray, whole packet, nothing came up? Same with Cue seeds I planted?

Basil seeds take ages to germinate in my experience. They need heat and moisture and lots of patience. With cues I *ALWAYS* take a saucer, put a piece of paper kitchen towel on it and place the seeds on the towel, fold it over and soak with warm water. Cover with another saucer and stick in the airing cupboard where it's dark and warm. Check for germination and dampness daily. Cues will begin to sprout from a few days to a week or so. When sprouted, pot up in 3" pots and grow on until a couple of sets of leaves and roots appear beneath the pot. Plant out in late may/earlyJune in Notts or in greenhouse/tunnel when ready. Bung some on a saucer now and you will still be in time for a crop :)

Thanks will remember that.

I remember a friend in California having a huge patch of Basil in her garden.

LoL :)

One tomato, 'Alicante', has started to die from the bottom leaves which are turning yellow and floppy?

Thanks Compo.

Looking at that I notice a case of 'Mushy Stem'

We had heavy rain for a couple of days last week, looks like overwatering?

I paid £3.10 for a tub at the chemists the other day. I have a magnesium deficiency problem that shows itself mainly in cucumbers. The site where I garden was scraped by Ice Sheets ten thousand years ago and then by the railway 130 years ago, ,leaving nowt but broken bedrock and clay. Over the years I have rebuilt the structure of the soil but occasionally notice something lacking. Usually magnesium sulphate - hence the use of Epsom salts. In cues it takes teh form of yellowing around the veins of the leaves and happens simulataneously right up the plant.

Given that Mick is growing outdoors I do wonder if the rain and cold weather is taking its toll in the form of neck rot and waterlogging.

• 8 years later...
7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve just picked 2 large beef tomatoes. Around 1lb 12oz each! Recipe suggestions please.

Hi Philmay  I just love these tom's you can use them for most things Salad's cook them for breakfast add to you bacon and eggs, Beef Tom and sliced onion salad but best is the old fashined way bottle them. You will have Tom's to last you forever.