Nottingham City Cycling Proficiency Scheme

Who remembers the dark green triangular felt flag pendants that you were awarded when you passed the Nottingham Cycling Proficiency exam? I didn't have one personally but I remember many of my school pals having one on their handlebars back in the late 1950s. IIRC the pendants featured the city coat of arms in yellow along with some other wording.

I wonder if anyone still has theirs. I imagine they wouldn't be allowed these days as they could inflict a nasty injury if you fell on one.

From the 518 posts cycling tread :Shock:

On 11/2/2016 at 8:46 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

They used to have cycling proficiency training at Berridge and I remember certificates etc being presented in morning assembly. Were there also pennant-type awards given out?

I did my test on my mams bike in the school playground. I can't remember any training, just a teacher (I think his name was Keys, he of the two tin legs), shouting "do this",  "do that", OK you've passed.  As far as I know everyone passed. The green pennant made from felt and didn't last long.

When my kids did it in the 70's it was a 'proper' job and were  given  triangular enamel badges plus a certificate when they passed.

Senior moment in my original post. Pennant not pendant doh.

Now it's been mentioned I remember the tests being conducted after school in the playground.

I remember the scheme, and had the certificate and flag when I passed. It all happened in the playground at Greencroft Junior School.

There was also a link with the policeman who went round local schools talking to the kids. He made the presentation of flag and certificate in the school hall.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:32 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I remember the scheme, and had the certificate and flag when I passed. It all happened in the playground at Greencroft Junior School.

There was also a link with the policeman who went round local schools talking to the kids. He made the presentation of flag and certificate in the school hall.

Sometime in the mid 50's I can remember the roadways and crossings being painted in the playground in some bright yellowy orange (dayglo) colour. Also the Road Safety PC who presented the flags on the day got the school assembly singing an annoying song. must have been annoying as I can remember the tune and the first few words which went something like "We must have safety on the Queens Highway......"  .   A Teacher, think it may have been a Miss Leigh kept at me to enrol.  Never took the course, my bike was my mams and the brakes were a bit iffy didn't want to get a rollicking off the instructor.    Should have proficiency flags for e-Scooters.