Bankrupt energy companies...

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just received my latest electric bill and am apparently £17,000 in debt. I was about £300 in credit. Yes, that’s right £17k debit. I’m with bulb energy and it’s been a total disaster with them for months. My property is xxxxxxx Farm Cottage and next door is xxxxxxxx Farm. It seems there is an inability of the energy companies to distinguish between the two. I can see they’re similar but so is number 11 and 12. Spent hours on the phone trying to resolve it. Now they have decided that I have two electric meters. My meter was changed as it was very old about 5 years ago and they seem to have resurrected the old meter from somewhere. Unbelievably bad and stressful constantly chasing them. Stopped the direct debit yesterday as I didn’t want them trying to take £17,000 out my account and already got an email bollocking me and threatening. 

• Like 1

Some of those bankrupt companies were an accident waiting to happen. Only a few weeks before it all blew up, I was contacted by one of them - Avro - trying to persuade me to change to them. Until then I'd never heard of Avro Energy so did a bit of Googling; their prices were competitive but there were dozens of comments about their lack of customer service and incompetence in dealing with problems, so I ignored them.

Three weeks later they'd gone out of business. I think I was lucky.

23 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

People knock British Gas but I've never had any problems with them and wouldn't change. 

I have a similar attitude to BT with phone and broadband. On the odd occasion I've contacted them, they seem to know what they're doing, so I'll stick with them.

I've got a friend who was with BULB, he's been with a few others in the past, some of whom have folded.

He was transfered to BULB as his previous supplier folded on his first day with them.

He's all electric with storage heaters.

From the start BULB said they couldn't get readings from his Smart Meter and needed manual readings, he tried to get them but even with help from BULB couldn't.

BULB said they'd book a meter reader, no-one ever turned up in the 18 months he was with them.

He managed to get some readings but the bills were always high.

Prior to him quitting with BULB they sent a demand for over £2000 outstanding and after a lot of phonecalls and emails from them they discovered they could get a reading an revised the bill and sent a statement and a refund of nearly £2000 previously overpaid plus a small conpensation payment.

The problem was simple, when he was transferred to BULB they didn't get meter readings from the old supplier, they'd folded so wouldn't have sent them.

So with no readings they used a start reading of 00000, which meant he was paying again for all the energy he'd used since the Smart meter was originally fitted.

• 8 months later...

Remember a guy knocked on my door once , trying to change my Gas supplier , he looked a dodgy character, i said i am not interested mate , in reply he said ," well can i come in for a cup of water "

I said no you ruddy well can't, 

He said " you wont give me a cup of water "

I said look mate if its water you want , what you doing selling gas ? You'd be better off selling water , that way you'd have your own company bottle !!