Worked at Savemore on Bridge st for a time in the mid 60s,.............fell in love with a girl called Sybil who wore those bottle lensed glasses,......God she was lovely.................

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played cricket for Gedling Colliery, most pits had teams so after match drinks on a Saturday night were in these places, so been to quite a few in my time, used to be packed out and normally some entertainment on too until...... Well you know when!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

We had some good nights in the Gedling Miners Welfare on Mapperley Top in the early 1960s, danced to some great bands.. It was along walk back along the top and down Westdale Lane to Phoenix estate if we missed the 25 bus, or spent our bus fare. The last time I was in there was at my sisters Wedding Reception in September 1980. Seems a long time ago. Is it still there?

• Upvote 1

Gedling miners welfare I suppose was my incarnation from a boy to a man really, I had my first shandy there, met my wife, had some really great nights, played the old "one armed bandits" for a few quid but won little.

I used to walk my future wife home down to Valley road miners estate then back up to Mapperley tops to my home, no wonder I was fit in them days !

My wifes dad was a part time help there and occasional compere and bingo caller. Her mum did the snack bar sometimes, and kept a wary eye on me with her 14 year old daughter ! Great memories from the 60's.

My brother used to take me and my mates to Calverton miners on sunday lunchtimes sometimes, Amber Vandella comes to mind !

Again lots of good time memories stirred.

Clifton Miners Welfare Club ( The "Stute) we had Christmas Parties there as a Kid. and as I got to drinking age ( 15 ) I had many a good night there.I think i was about 20 when it closed for good . a quick edit I didnt mention that the CMW was in the meadows and not far from the pit.

Crikey ..... Basford miners was apparently nicknamed Creepers because the deputies & managers drank in there & the miners used to buy them drinks trying to get a bit of overtime.

That was what my dad told me when I asked him why it had that name.

Gedling MW is now the Mapperley Plains Social Club.

The name has changed, but not much else about the place.

Not quite true Rob. They've built a massive fitness place next to it and fenced off the footie pitch so casual fans (such as me when I was a boy) can't watch the football anymore!

Had a few Uncles and cousins lived at Calverton and worked down the Pit there,and used to enjoy going to see them at Calverton MW,.............one was a very good singer(Sinatra type songs) and often entertained the Patrons there,.........Dick Barnes.

Another Uncle used to dress up as Bernard Bresslaw (army game style) and give his rendition of 'Mad Passionate love' very funny.........Harold Langsdale.

• 5 years later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Miners welfare clubs
On 9/27/2021 at 9:39 AM, clarke38 said:

Anyone remember Basford Miners Welfare, early 80s when chick was on the door. 

Hi clarke 38 a BIG WECOME to nottstalgla 

Basford Miners Welfare did they not have stripper's on Sunday lunch time?

How we all remember the Miners Welfares you allways hada good night out.

Still two Welfares that are still going strong (besldes Underwood Welfare)

Jacksdale MW now renamed  Jacksdale Social Club  &

Heanor MW there is all ways something going off there, Sat night entertainmant on stage, Fri if you like Bingo then this is the night to go, other nights Pool, dominoes, it has two large rooms one for all and one which can be let out weddings, Birthdays, in fact any thing you want. The secretary and staff do most of the food for all, and they do a really good job.

Miner's Welfare's.

Was a frequent visitor to Basford/'Creepers', when I worked at Cinderhill Labs.  They use to sell 'Taddy's' in pint bottles.  Lovely stuff.

One of our first bookings with the mobile disco was at Gedling Miner's about 1968.  We turned up for a night out to find their 'Disco' had not turned up.  We were just n the process of setting ours up and offered to fil in if they gave us 30 minutes to get our gear.  Went down a bomb and the res is history..

My brother in law and me used to go up to Hucknall Welfare on a Sunday Lunchtime. Cheese and Onion or Pork and Stuffing Cob in the Seven Stars first, then a couple in the welfare and home for dinner.

Bestwood Welfare.  In the 60s before I was old enough to go in I always thought the area around looked nice. Bowling greens and Tennis courts if I recall.  Just looked a mess last time I looked. Inside was pretty decent when I was old enough and my old Disco mate Picko was involved in the Discos there until well into the 80s/90 I think..along with Steve Austin and 'Pulse' Disco.

Similar sort of place we used to drop into on weekend jaunts around the area between Boowul and...say... Ilkeston.. was the splendidly named 'Langley Mill and Aldercar Working Men's Club and Institute.. Ltd.'  We mostly played snooker., before moving on elsewhere and always ending up in Ilkeston Bowling Alley.  Great days.

Wow strippers on a Sunday they really did offer everything lol. Creepers wow used to hear that phrase. Used to go down with my when I was staying with them, lived in eat all. grandad known as kenny Ross did the bingo years ago. Had a great stage there all my aunts, sharon June Janet Kathy  and mum pat grew up going in there I used to go with my youngest aunt when we were kids. Had a beauty contest on and live bands used to collect all the posters and get them signed. God seems so old fashioned now. Used to have a kids tuck shop in there. Sometimes we were only allowed in the smaller room on the right from the entrance can’t remember what it was called. I lived going down there. 

DJ360   you just rememnded me when you mentioned Hucknall miners welfare. Friday used to be dico night and was allways packed, untill if I remember right the cealing fell in.  Result Tesco have now moved in and taken over.

Is there any member out there knows if Hendon Rise Social club is still there and open, ?