• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd still like to knew where this is?

Anywhere near St Peters Street Park perhaps?

Any of the new members any idea?

A true story about St Peters Street Park.

In the 70's there used to be a park keepers hut there. The park keeper was a very obliging chap. he used to allow an asian gentleman who did not have a phone, to use the park keepers phone. The grateful asian gentleman used to put 10p in the honesty box. When the rather large phone bill arrived, many of the calls were listed as being made to pakistan!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I drove past this last Saturday, for the first time in years.

The old pubs on St Peters Street closed down.

Keep taking them, lest we forget. Look forward to more.

Cheers

Was that pub near their called The Rose?

unionflag I too passed by their some weeks ago and the pub was boared up i beleive it's been like that for over six months. Been in there only two or three times, i wasen't inpressed with the decore or the beer. Just down the road is the plough with it's Brewery in the back called the Nottingham Brewery after the Brewery that once was on Mansfield road. It's one of those pubs that's not change alot over the passing of time [great] stone floors and original wall paper and black outs...and the beers good too.. unionflag

Did you ever frequent the Plough on St. Peters Street? That was my mother and father-in-laws' local. They lived on Hamilton Terrace, just off Ilkeston Road.

Do you remember anyone called Henry Cooper, not the boxer, he used to have a garage down that end in around 1968/69?

A unionflag

• 6 months later...

aaah, so the old Churchvale Road in the 1920's is now known as Hartley Road? Thank you. It's taken me ages on multimap to find the sight of the folly. Also, where the flour mill and the Grove were on the 20's map is now houses. Thank you. Will have a nosey round there when im next in Nottingham.

:) Sal

• 3 years later...

Thanks for ressurecting this topic Radfordred, I'd not seen it before and I'd never heard of the place.

It's interesting that it survived into my lifetime, I wouldn't be surprised, knowing my old man and his knowledge of the wierd and wonderful in Nottingham, that I was taken to see it's sad remains when I was a kid.

I'd be interested to know what happened to the original house that formed the basis of Radford Grove, you can see it in the background on this photo from Picture the Past, taken in 1927.

radfoll27.jpg

Another building in the area I remember from my childhood was a mill over the Leen, we used to pass it on the bus everytime we went into town. I vaguely recall it being fairly intact, then the ground floor was knocked out of it and a large RSJ was put underneath where it spanned the river, then the river was culverted and all that was left was the mill house that I presume has gone now, this is from Picture the Past 1985:-

radmill.jpg

Just out of interest, while Googling Radford Folly, I found it wasn't the only one in the world. This is Radfords Folly, a Cold War airfield built in the Philipines at Subic Bay for the US Navy that cost more than the Panama Canal to build and was abandoned by the US in 1992:

subicbay.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have just picked up on this topic so I may as well have my two penneth, for what it is worth.

Looking at the map of where the Folly is situated, it was somewhere where John Players packing case factory stood. I lived, for most of my childhood life on Knighton Avenue and only sold my parents house on there a couple of years ago. Knighton Ave and Radford Grove Lane formed a horseshoe shaped road from Churchfield Lane.

No 1 Radford Grove Lane still exists and was the old farm house in its day. The Folly must have been located adjacent to that as the River Leen runs along the bottom of its back garden as it does at the bottom of the gardens at the bottom of Knighton Avenue.

The building right at the back of Radfordreds picture, could well be the farmhouse that still stands.

I have many fond memories of living around there as a kid. My earliest, was of me being brought back home on a regular basis by the fork lift truck drivers from the packing case factory. I would wander down there, fascinated at them loading/unloading what were known as `Hogheads` from Players lorries. I worked in the packing case factory for a short while during the 6 years that I spent at Players, such is the irony.

The Folly was before my time, but that is where it looks as if it was.

• 2 years later...