We’re just back from Southwell. I know it’s our local town and we often pass through but it’s been a few years since I last walked through the streets. What a delightful place. Lots of interesting shops, none boarded up, magnificent old buildings. If it was in the Cotswolds you would rave about it. Even if you’re not a ‘churchy’ type the Minster is a magnificent historic building. I went into a traditional butcher’s and got steak and kidney pies and proper chunky pork chops with the kidney in. Well worth a trip out to visit. I must go there more often. Free parking for two hours or free all day if you don’t mind a longer walk from near the Minster School.

Just go and soak up the atmosphere. There are plenty of places to eat or pick up a sandwich. There’s always the Minster if it’s raining. I think I’ve been there twice in 60 years. I don’t suppose it’s changed much!

The last time I went into the Minster was for the memorial service of Peter Howard Mellors who was the senior partner of Rothera's and also Registrar of the Diocese of Southwell.

The place was packed. I don't think there was a solicitor at work that day!

He and I shared the same taste in music and there were all my favourite hymns, including St Patrick's Breastplate.  I was surprised to discover I was the only one who knew it! It was sung frequently at The Manning. It was just the choir and myself. Everyone else gave up! Not an easy piece to sing if you don't know it as it's a very old tune and fitting the words to it has more in common with the 'pointing' required for psalms and plainchant than hymn singing.  I had a little chuckle to myself and could just picture the grin on Peter's face at having foxed virtually the entire congregation!

I can just see the very tips of the twin towers, over the fields, from a rear upstairs window. On Highcross Hill above Bleasby you can see, on a clear day, both the Minster and Lincoln Cathedral. The only place in England, apparently, where you can see two Anglican Cathedrals.

My dads side of the family were all born in Southwell , before breaking out into the flesh pots of Carlton Hill .

No great shakes, mostly agricultural labourers.

One of the ancestors , born 1809 spent a long time in Southwell Workhouse .

There's a news article where he was punished for gross insubordination for refusing to work one day . I think he was 75 years old at the time !

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I can just see the very tips of the twin towers, over the fields, from a rear upstairs window. On Highcross Hill above Bleasby you can see, on a clear day, both the Minster and Lincoln Cathedral. The only place in England, apparently, where you can see two Anglican Cathedrals.

Now I'm not disagreeing with you Phil.. I'm just wondering..  You see from Billinge Hill I can definitely see both Liverpool Cathedrals, the Anglican and the Catholic.  I can also see Manchester, and pick out buildings such as the Beetham Tower, so it is at least possible that I can see..though not actually pick out, Manchester Cathedral... which is Anglican.  I can also see the Welsh mountains..which are beyond Chester.. which also has a Cathedral..which is there somewhere in the mist.. :rolleyes:

With everyone talking about what they can see from the top of hills it reminded me of this great song by Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
https://youtu.be/_OO2PuGz-H8

On a clear day on the colliery village where I was brought up you could see the smog, seriously though you could see Lincoln Cathedral from the top of Church Hill or the pit headstocks.

As for Southwell..last time I was there would be at least 60 years ago. 

I have...:(