Caught a documentary about the early 1960s 'Midland Pullman', on Talking Pictures yesterday.

I recall seeing these coming through Trent Junction..though I confess I had no idea where they went from there..  I suspect the idea of an all First Class service was already past its sell by date in 1960.

Anyway..the documentary showed the train running down from Manchester Central   (Long closed as far as I know..) through Dove Holes, Chinley, Matlock, Ambergate and Derby. Even back then I wouldn't have seen that line as suitable for an Express Pullman.. It was all very odd.

It did a midday return trip from St Pancras to Nottingham too.

This was the time when the West Coast main line was being electrified south of Manchester, so there were lots of engineering works. One idea of the Midland Pullman was to provide an alternative service during these works. Once finished the train was transferred to the Western Region to join its brethren on services from Paddington  to Bristol etc. A bit like Project Rio around 2005 when fast trains again ran from St Pancras to Manchester via Leicester.

• Like 1

We’ve travelled from Folkstone to London Victoria on the Belmond British Pullman as the final leg of our very special Orient Express trip a couple of years ago.  The Pullman had a brown and cream exterior and a beautiful interior to each of the renovated Art Deco carriages.  We were served champagne and delicate tasty sandwiches …… you know …… rather like we would get offered on East Midlands Railway!!

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

We were served champagne and delicate tasty sandwiches …… you know …… rather like we would get offered on East Midlands Railway!!

Ah Lizzie you too have tasted the delights of the world famous railway sandwiches. They are especially proud of the ones with the artfully curled edges and  the almost mystical way the taste is disguised by cleverly hiding the fillings...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We’ve travelled from Folkstone to London Victoria on the Belmond British Pullman as the final leg of our very special Orient Express trip a couple of years ago.  The Pullman had a brown and cream exterior and a beautiful interior to each of the renovated Art Deco carriages.  We were served champagne and delicate tasty sandwiches …… you know …… rather like we would get offered on East Midlands Railway!!

Lizzie, I recall the Pullman trains on the East Coast Mainline at Grantham in the early 1960s.  They were the original Brown and Cream coaches, each one named after flowers, or gemstones, etc.  I was struck by the way that each table had a double lamp, so that the passengers could see what they were eating...  I suppose it highlighted the artfully curved edges of the Sarnies...

Of course I was far more interested in the steam locos pulling the trains.. Going to Grantham was the only time I saw the famous A4 Class (Mallard type) locos in full steam, howling through Grantham.  A lost age..

Sadly, I never saw the West Coast equivalents.such as the Coronation class, and the Princess Coronation class.. running in anger..

• Upvote 1

Not seen that Totongirl.  I'd be interested in more info.

I also recently caught another documentary on Talking Pictures called 'Terminus'.  It purports to show a day in the life of Waterloo Station, in that London, around 1960.

As ever in such things.. the cinematographers seem to go out of their way to NOT show a full shot of any engine.  Instead. they go for lingering shots of steam pipes..'blowing off'.. or wheels and running gear. JUST SHOW ME THE SODDING ENGINE!!!!!

As for the rest of it...  Everybody in it looked old.. even the kids.. All very odd... 

There are some videos on Youtube, it's just a regular HST set repainted in the Pullman Blue livery. I'm not sure who operates it but it's used on specials. It went to northern Scotland last week, a friend of mine was on it.