Thanks for reminding us of that Edwin.

Last week much to my disgust, I attended the Derby City Market hall to buy a Poppy.

I had great difficulty in buying one from anywhere. At one time everyone sold them!

Thanks for reminding us of that Edwin.

Last week much to my disgust, I attended the Derby City Market hall to buy a Poppy.

I had great difficulty in buying one from anywhere. At one time everyone sold them!

!rulez! Watched it this morning on the box, very moving it was too.

Got my poppy several weeks ago.

Beleive it or not as a young lad of about ten or eleven I use to help me mum sell those across at the Bracebridge shops on the Bilborough estate. Me mum and me we use to stand outside of Farrands, me with the poppy tray around my neck and me mum with the money box....happy days......

!rulez! And another thing....I also listened on the radio when the two minute silence was held on Saturday the 11th.......what disgusted me about that two minute silence was the ringing of a tram bell in the background. Would it have hurt anybody for the trams to stopping running for those two minutes.....?

Yes, thanks for posting that 'Edwin'.

I think we all need reminding of the sacrifices that were made during those troubled times in history.

I often wonder, if I would have had the same courage as those brave lads.

Only too thankful my courage has never been put to the test.

• 2 years later...

The average British soldier is 19 years old…..he is a short haired, well built lad who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears and just old enough to buy a round of drinks but old enough to die for his country – and for you. He’s not particularly keen on hard work but he’d rather be grafting in Afghanistan than unemployed in the UK . He recently left comprehensive school where he was probably an average student, played some form of sport, drove a ten year old rust bucket, and knew a girl that either broke up with him when he left, or swore to be waiting when he returns home. He moves easily to rock and roll or hip-hop or to the rattle of a 7.62mm machine gun.

He is about a stone lighter than when he left home because he is working or fighting from dawn to dusk and well beyond. He has trouble spelling, so letter writing is a pain for him, but he can strip a rifle in 25 seconds and reassemble it in the dark. He can recite every detail of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either effectively if he has to. He digs trenches and toilets without the aid of machines and can apply first aid like a professional paramedic. He can march until he is told to stop, or stay dead still until he is told to move.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation but he is not without a rebellious spirit or a sense of personal dignity. He is confidently self-sufficient. He has two sets of uniform with him: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his water bottle full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never forgets to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes and fix his own hurts. If you are thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food is your food. He'll even share his life-saving ammunition with you in the heat of a firefight if you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and regards his weapon as an extension of his own hands. He can save your life or he can take it, because that is his job - it's what a soldier does. He often works twice as long and hard as a civilian, draw half the pay and have nowhere to spend it, and can still find black ironic humour in it all. There's an old saying in the British Army: 'If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined!'

He has seen more suffering and death than he should have in his short lifetime. He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and he is unashamed to show it or admit it. He feels every bugle note of the 'Last Post' or 'Sunset' vibrate through his body while standing rigidly to attention. He's not afraid to 'Bollock' anyone who shows disrespect when the Regimental Colours are on display or the National Anthem is played; yet in an odd twist, he would defend anyone's right to be an individual. Just as with generations of young people before him, he is paying the price for our freedom. Clean shaven and baby faced he may be, but be prepared to defend yourself if you treat him like a kid.

He is the latest in a long thin line of British Fighting Men that have kept this country free for hundreds of years. He asks for nothing from us except our respect, friendship and understanding. We may not like what he does, but sometimes he doesn't like it either - he just has it to do.. Remember him always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

And now we even have brave young women putting themselves in harm's way, doing their part in this tradition of going to war when our nation's politicians call on us to do so.

And mine, lovely words Radfordred, can we have a better title put on this Mick so that people know what it's all about.

I shall be off to Duxford on Rememberance Day, it's a special place to be. Apart from the service, that usually features serving members of the Anglian Regiment as well as aircrew of the USAF and RAF, and of course the old boys, they always endeavour to put up a Spitfire, whatever the weather conditions, they do their stuff, it's a very tearful, memorable and moving experience, if any of you are down this way, pay a visit. This year I am determined to go to Madingley afterwards.

Bless em all.

Better Title you say? This was named by an earlier member Edwin Layward or renamed by a Troll member?

Think of a title and I will rename it?

How about the obvious, Remembrance Day, or Poppy Day perhaps, unless you have something else in mind, whatever you think is appropriate, as long as it's understood.

Well if your going to re-name it lets REMEMBER to name it right "LESS WE FORGET" less than what ? Or just forget?

God of our fathers, known of old

Lord of our far-flung battle line

Beneath whose awful hand we hold

Dominion over palm and pine

Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet

Lest we forget lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies

The Captains and the Kings depart

Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice

An humble and a contrite heart

Lest we forget lest we forget!

Far-called our navies melt away

On dune and headland sinks the fire

Lo, all our pomp of yesterday

Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!

Judge of the Nations, spare us yet

Lest we forget lest we forget

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose

Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe

Such boastings as the Gentiles use

Or lesser breeds without the Law

Lest we forget--lest we forget!

For heathen heart that puts her trust

In reeking tube and iron shard

All valiant dust that builds on dust

And guarding calls not Thee to guard

For frantic boast and foolish word

Thy Mercy on Thy People, Lord!

Amen

Whilst not wishing to appear unpatriotic there is a line in your earlier posting Radford Red "when our nations politicians call on us to do so" My fear here is that those politicians do it for the right reasons and take advice from those who know what is needed as regards tactics, numbers and equipement and not what they deem they can afford? nor as a vote grabber.

And whilst I have not seen any evidence of govenment ministers doing such they are MP's (politicians) just the same as the 4 (at least) that made claims to get wreaths, poppies etc paid for as expenses

• 10 years later...

My nephew was born on November 11 , 50 yrs ago. His father , my brother, was in the army and was proud of it. He went where he was sent to many troubled areas including Northern Ireland where he saw so many horrors. My nephew also chose the army as a career and is constantly in troubled areas. We fear for these young lives and are always glad to see them on their return. No matter where the troubles are or how old the young men are , they are our heros and in the future they will still be our heros, they will live on in our thoughts. Just think of those of 19 yrs of age going off to war leaving their loved ones and hoping they would return. In today's world it doesn't bear thinking about. 

Bless you all for what you did and still do.

• Like 5

For Thomas William Sparrow, John Samuel Ward, Archie Saunt, Ernest Ward and Charlie Clarke. All Nottingham boys. All killed in WW1 and WW2.

As always, at this time, I remember these relatives whom I never met and what they gave so that we might have peace and freedom.

• Like 5