John Lewis Christmas Advert

Personally I don’t really give a jot about John Lewis and their stupid Christmas adverts. I’m just trying to demonstrate  the reactions there would be had the black and white roles been reversed.

• Like 2

I guess I feel like many people here. I have absolutely nothing against black people and the black community have probably been underrepresented in the past in advertising but it’s getting to be a joke and quite possibly counter productive. Fair and appropriate representation I’d be all for it but it’s OTT at the moment.

I think Phil hits the spot with his comment. TV ads the white Person is the alien.

• Like 3

I think an argument can be made that the sudden silly, unrealistic rise in 'inclusive' adverts and TV show content will actually have the reverse effect. Speaking with friends and neighbours there is a growing amount of resentment (mostly jocular at the moment), at the attempt to manipulate our thinking. Far from reducing racism it's more likely to create a degree of animosity that we can well do without

• Like 7

PC etc has taken over...............when i come back i need to be a ''One Legged black Homosexual.''.with a speech impediment..............

• Like 5

Since I don't own a tv, I can't comment but ads of any kind drive me up the wall.

As for you, our Ben, if there is such a thing as reincarnation, your next tour of duty will be as a eunuch!  :wacko:

• Like 1

I counted only two white faces in that woke fest ad.

Considering JL have laid hundreds of staff of then spend £millions on that ad especially after the LGBTQ ad that got dropped sharpish. I reckon JL will lose customers over this PC we rubbish.

• Like 2

I class myself as very Non-Racist............but men from only a few years ago would give each other lots of friendly banter regarding their 'Ethnic' background.........you could always tell the difference between friendly and insulting....nowadays its all taken as the latter........IE Yorkshire cricket club at the moment.....even sponsors withdrawing their support.....crazy........

• Like 2

Just watched the Boots Christmas TV ad & like the others there is nothing about the real reason for Christmas. In this one it is about 50 / 50 mix of black & white faces, well above the real mix of 10 / 90 % ethnicity mix. At least there were no obvious LGBTQ members in it which makes a change.

• Like 1

Were I prone to believing in conspiracy theories I might suggest they have deliberately aimed at generating controversy. First everyone will be aware of the advert so in that respect it's working. They can also claim the moral high ground by rebutting the backlash and demonstrate just what a caring sharing inclusive company they are.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, benjamin1945 said:

I class myself as very Non-Racist............but men from only a few years ago would give each other lots of friendly banter regarding their 'Ethnic' background.........you could always tell the difference between friendly and insulting....nowadays its all taken as the latter........IE Yorkshire cricket club at the moment.....even sponsors withdrawing their support.....crazy........

Chips on shoulders Ben. It's called playing the race card.

Most black fellas were referred to as Chalky years ago with no intention to offend & none was taken, good grief not any more.

• Like 1

I remember playing football back in the 70s against a Pub team that was all Black.........great game on Bulwell Common............loads of 'Racist' Banter..even bits of violence..........but at the final whistle it was all Handshakes and laughter......

• Like 1

Back in 1964, I had a black conductor working with me. He always called me a 'White Honky'.  I never found it offensive. But then again, I'm probably too dim to realise.

I can no longer watch television adverts. It's wall to wall propaganda. I went to the cinema last week. The first three adverts featured massive black overrepresentation. I had to leave and sit in the lobby until the film began.

• Like 3