I'm sure many of us (not all) frequented these....and can relate some stories about them.........the ones i used were..

Railway club Bulwell

Oakleigh Lodge..Basford.....

Miners Welfare...Hucknall

Ditto.................Calverton

Liberal club........Peterborough

West End club...(Miners) Coalville.....

Had some good times in all of these...all of which were also very funny..........

Yes Cliff Ton......still exist under different names.....not sure about the Miners clubs......think they all gone,,,,,,,,,,,Oakleigh Lodge still going and thats a British legion club...............

There was a time when Miners Welfares seemed to be everywhere - when there were miners. Never went in any of them but I was aware of Clifton; Basford; Gedling; etc.

And did this area have clubs for specific trades...such as Wheeltappers etc ?

Arnold Working Mens club, the empty building, is still there, but the club closed down in 2015.
I went in a couple of times and in Gedling Miners as my Father Law was at Gedling Pit.

There's still Liberal Club, Conservative Club and Labour Club.
Also Brititsh Legion and Ex Servicemens Club all in Arnold.

I suspect the rise of other venues started to attract the younger generation who would normally have frequented the old MIners / Railway / Working mens clubs.

There was also the Larger Company Clubs as well like Boots, Plessey and General Social Clubs.

No Miners Wefare's locally so the nearest for me is Annesley Woodhouse Working Mens Club. Not bad as it has seen its way through the Lockdowns thanks to Keith Stanley and co. Bands, bingo and open the box on a sat night but I only go in for the cheapish beer. 

Has anyone managed to renew  a C.I.U membership this year Ihave tried at Beeston Victory Club who-say they have had no contact and direct to their website to no avail

Miners Welfare in Jacksdale still there, now called The Dale club still get acts on, but at the back they have a large field used for football for younsters, November they had a large bonfire with all the food and fireworks, so this is one thats still alive and kicking.

Still going strong is Heanor Miners Wellfare which often have charity nights, mostley for air ambulance and most important they still have a usable bowling green, also they have a separate room for funtions. If there is a wedding, Brithday party, and lots of other use's. The sterward and sterwardess and secrtary do most of the catering them seleves and make a good job of it, If any one is interested in hireing the back room they also have a web site.

22 minutes ago, Annesley Red said:

No Miners Wefare's locally so the nearest for me is Annesley Woodhouse Working Mens Club. Not bad as it has seen its way through the Lockdowns thanks to Keith Stanley and co. Bands, bingo and open the box on a sat night but I only go in for the cheapish beer. 

Miners Welfare Annesley Rd is this the one near the Badger Box if so its Gone  and lots of house's are on the site.

Blidworth Miners Welfare Social Club is still going, unfortunately not the magnificent building that used to be at the top of the hill when coming from Mansfield but still a thriving club, as is Rainworth Miners Welfare still in the original building when the pit was working.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Miners Welfare Annesley Rd is this the one near the Badger Box if so its Gone  and lots of house's are on the site.

Yes a new housing estate almost built now

Played football against many Miners Welfares back in the 60s and 70s.......some great times....also recall playing the Badger box'' who had a bloke called George Best in their team..........

Can anyone tell me the ''Welfare team'' name from Eastwood way?......

I use to go to Hucknall Miners Welfare in the early 60s on Wednesday nights for the under 18s, then after that on Friday nights upstairs for the entertainment. When it closed  and was demolished it was a tragedy for the people. Many marriages began from there and a few ended . It was great while it lasted, cheap beer and great nights.

• Like 1

So many happy times there in the 60s.........my greater very large family were all regulars......saturday night dancing and a different Artist every week.......worked behind the Bar first when i was 18....with some lovely people...Ken...Colin....Don....Joyce....Margaret..........

Went in again a few years ago to a Dance lesson..........wish i hadnt...i could see all my old friends and relatives in my minds eye........now all (nearly) gone.........felt depressed when i came out............

• Like 1

Another I remember driving past, which seemed to be slightly in the middle of nowhere. On the Colwick Loop Road at Netherfield. It was something to do with railways, and this is how it looked in 2011, but it's now been replaced by a KFC drive-thru.

https://goo.gl/maps/pjTJmUtwRkRfzqpeA

I understand your feelings Ben, places you use to have happy times in, now many of them closed some knocked down or changed beyond recognition. You can still see you friends there, many have gone forever , all have changed and you can recall incidents ,  some best forgotten. A song that brings all these memories back is Rod Stewarts " When we were the new boys" I would put a link to it but my skills will not let me.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2021 at 12:18 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Thought i'd start a new Topic......don't seem to be many of late

I know it's off piste Ben, but do you remember Chambers butchers in (Main St or perhaps Commercial Road). I had an uncle who worked there in the 50's.

They had a daughter who had slight learning difficulties and one of the sons, who's name was Edgar.