The postman backed his van up the drive to deliver a large parcel at 11.45am. His van wouldn’t start so he called the RAC who gave him a two hour window. They keep giving him half hour updates but still haven’t arrived at 4pm. He’s done a few local walking deliveries and now he’s gone down to Hazelford to deliver some more. We had hoped to go into Newark but we can’t get the cars out! It’s not the battery which I’ve checked and it’s virtually impossible to get into the bonnet of his large Peugeot van to access anything. If they don’t come soon   it looks like he’ll be here for the night!

Perhaps it's part of the Post Office attempt to compete with Amazon... your very own live in postal delivery service...

I'm sure if he does he will be so grateful he'll give a great big huuuug.... squeeeezy squeeeeezy...     smile2

• Like 1

I’m just back from helping him deliver to the outlying hamlet. He’s just had a text to say he’s a priority. We pushed the van a few yards and I was able to get out our daughter’s Jeep by driving over the grass. No doubt there will be tyremarks on the lawn. I’ve offered to drive him home to the bottom of Carlton Rd. He starts at 4.30 in the morning! 

• Like 2

Phil, you want to ask him if you can help him in Christmas week, then you can get a share of the Christmas boxes. Another point, you should charge the P.O. for parking fees.  :)

Back in the day Royal Mail had their own recovery trucks (part of the motor transport workshop services).  I suppose that must have ceased since they moved to a business model of leasing those ubiquitous small vans and relying on 'professional' recovery!  Are they owner-drivers these days?

54 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’m noted for my kindness and generosity to others.

All round yours for new years then smile2  are we having fireworks??

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Brew said:

Perhaps it's part of the Post Office attempt to compete with Amazon

The Post Office is the nationwide network of branches offering a range of postal, Government and financial services.

Royal Mail is the company that delivers parcels and letters – the provider of the universal postal service.

The Royal Mail is great when its advertised services work properly.  Recently we had a really important document  notorized on a Thursday that needed to be in Jamaica pdq.  It so happened that a friend was flying to ‘the Jam’ on the next Monday so we sent it ‘Royal Mail Special Delivery  Next Day By 1pm’ on that Thursday.  It arrived in Cheltenham on the following MONDAY lunchtime, 3 days late.   The friend had left home in Cheltenham at 6am for the airport.  We then had to arrange for the document to be picked up by FedEx in Cheltenham and brought back to East Midlands Airport (!)  to be flown to Jamaica via a couple of destinations in the USA.   It took well over a week to reach its destination.  I’ve lost all faith in the Royal Mail, I dearly want it to work and survive but there are serious issues that need to be sorted and with the cost of postage we, the public, should be getting a better service.  Oh, we did get a cheque for £7.65 when I complained about the delay.  Seemed weird receiving a cheque, not seen one for years! 

I’ve just seen the postman after yesterday’s fiasco. I was sorry I couldn’t diagnose the fault but then neither could the RAC. He was towed back to the depot and the Peugeot van is having the faulty electronics sorted. Modern cars are a pain when they go wrong and who in their right mind would have a French vehicle anyway!!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Recently we had a really important document  notorized on a Thursday that needed to be in Jamaica pdq

Scan, mail, hard copies to follow?

52 minutes ago, Brew said:

Scan, mail, hard copies to follow?

Did all that Brew.   Just getting stuff notarised in the UK isn’t easy, of course in the USA and Caribbean there’s a Notary Public on every street corner, our Accountant in Jamaica is a Notary as well, but here they’re a bit thin on the ground.