Finding electoral census records Clifton, Nottingham

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Finding electoral census records Clifton, Nottingham

I've spent time there, too, but it's not a patch on The Judge's Lodgings where the archives were kept previously. Wonderfully atmospheric surroundings in which to decipher some drunken clergyman's scrawlings in the burial registers. At times, researchers were allowed down into the vaults. Fascinating stuff.

I didn't know that, CT. Disgusting. It's a wonderful old building and the walls were hung with paintings of the period. Even the furniture was properly antique.

It was a very handy place to whizz up to in my lunch break when I worked on Low Pavement. If you organized it properly, it was possible to bung your document order in the box just prior to collection time and then peruse the items for the remainder of the time, noting what else you needed to look at the following day. With the order already written out, same again 24 hours later.  Spent many lunch breaks doing that during the days before the internet.