1920s Map of Nottingham

I have been sent a scan of a 1920s street map of Nottingham. If anyone wants one I'll be happy to e-mail a copy to you.

NB: the map has been divided up into nine files and each is in the region of 800kb. I don't want to muck-up your in box.

Hi Bamber, I am very interested in the old map of Nottingham. I have just bought the book 'Picture the Past' and it makes an old map an essential commodity. I thought of going to the library to look at their maps; this would save me a lot of time and I am obliged to you.

Best regards guzzgog. :-)

I highly recommend a trip to Waterstones - head to the local interest section and you'll find a whole load of old maps (exactly like the one above in fact) for sale. Only a couple of quid too - I got three covering Sherwood in the north, the city centre and the Meadows in the south. All dated around 1900.

Some interesting history on the back too.

More info: http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk

You can spend hours matching them up to Google Earth and noting the differences. Biggest differences being back to back housing clearance, the loss of the Great Central Railway and of course the hideous Maid Marian Way that smashed its way through so much of the city.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fascinating! able to see the route of the old pits line from cinderhill etc, the route of the Leen and canals, the old "main road" Whitemoor Avenue, and the Suburban Railway going between 2 Lunatic Asylums!

I mentioned earlier the Nottingham Suburban Railway going between the 2 "lunatic asylums" (as stated on map). Just shows you what you miss as was looking at the map again earlier today and this time noticed the line is named as "Great Northern Railway" Now I know the NSR was "backed" by The GNR, in fact run by them (their rolling stock, locos etc) but can find no evidence of them taking it over officially or renaming of The NSR? I have also seen it identified by the name Nottingham Suburban Railway on other maps. A further question (and possibly a more accurate dating of the map) arises as on Jan 1st 1923 The Great Northern Railway name, along with The NSR and GCR ceased to exist as absorbed into The LNER, Nottingham's other 2 railways The Midland and London North Western becoming part of The LMS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been sent a scan of a 1920s street map of Nottingham. If anyone wants one I'll be happy to e-mail a copy to you.

NB: the map has been divided up into nine files and each is in the region of 800kb. I don't want to muck-up your in box.

I am looking for Bartram Street where my mother was born in 1926......appreciate if you could have a look for me and send me the relevant file. Thanx Mareli

• 2 months later...

blimey, I can't even see the street! There was a brewery in Old Basford on Alpine St but by 1922 was Murphy's Chemical Works (still there) There was also a brewery in New Basford I think called Basford Brewery later took over by Shipstones just off Northgate, Craig will probably know

• 11 years later...
On 1/13/2009 at 9:18 PM, christinef said:

Hi Bamber from a Kiwi who would like a copy of your map. I'm writing the family story of a couple who were born in Nottingham in the late '20s and emigrated to NZ in 1951. The map might be an interesting appendix to their story - help their family (and me!) make sense of some of the places they refer to.

Regards

Christine F

I am looking for a detailed street map of Nottingham and from what I can gather there is a PDF version being mentioned on this webpage. Is there any chance I could have a copy of the PDF sent to me please? I would be very grateful as a colleague has asked me to get him a copy and as of yet, after searching the internet, there is few detailed maps around.

Unfortunately this thread - and the all posts in it - are more than 10 years old and as far as I can tell none of the links are still working.

What year of map are you looking for ?   Since this thread started, there are a number of websites which can probably provide what you're looking for.