Alfreton Road in the 60s

Screenshot_20211214-123241_Maps(1).jpg

This is the section of Alfreton Road between Wimbourne Road and Beckenham Road. I've seen lots of photos of the road further up showing Bentinck School, The Windmill Pub, Flying Horse, Jersey Kapwood etc. but nothing of this side and section. I'm particularly interested in these shops as I used to live at number 375 and although my dad was a keen photographer he never photographed mum's shop: Sylvia's Wool Shop. Next door was Hill's Newsagents. I've posted this on the Radfordtonians Facebook group and had lots of memories but has anyone any pictures of this area from my time there in the 60s?

Andy Chawner.

• Like 2
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the corner of Alfreton Road, Bentinck Road. My wife’s grandparents owned Flints newsagents. This photo is early 1960’s.

Not quite, but nearly.   Look at this link, which is Player's official photo site. Scroll down a bit and there are several photos which nearly cover the area in question (and you can click o

This is the section of Alfreton Road between Wimbourne Road and Beckenham Road. I've seen lots of photos of the road further up showing Bentinck School, The Windmill Pub, Flying Horse, Jersey Kapwood

Hello again, Andy.  We've often, on this site, bemoaned the lack of photos depicting this section of Alfreton Road and beyond, moving away from the city.

My great aunt, Eva Bullough (nee Hudson) lived further down on this side in one of the Victorian villas. For many years, there was a fish and chip shop next to the house where she lived. The shop was on the corner of one of the side streets... I'll have to look up the number.  Just a little further down from there was Prospect Terrace, home to Su Pollard's family. I spent lots of time there as Su was my sister's best friend. Those houses were demolished many years ago. A shame because they were lovely, early Victorian structures. Very unlike the eyesores thrown up in ten minutes nowadays.

I can't help with photos, but I've been past those buildings many times in the 1960s. My grandparents lived in Radford and we often visited, going on a bus route which went up/down Alfreton Road.

And although I didn't know it at the time, I also had a connection with people who lived on Wimbourne Road.

Thanks Jill. 

One possibility would be someone taking a picture 'by accident'. I've got pictures of a parade taken out of an upstairs window looking across towards the Clarence. Maybe someone did the same from the opposite side of the road.

There is a photo of the Player's factory decked out with bunting  for some royal visit possibly during the reign of Edward VII/George V but it doesn't show the shops. The photo is included in the Berridge Centenary Booklet.

Not quite, but nearly.

Look at this link, which is Player's official photo site. Scroll down a bit and there are several photos which nearly cover the area in question (and you can click on the images to get a useful enlargement).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50284741@N02/with/5054158382/

• Like 3

I've sent the photo to CT.

It shows Player's factory all decked out for a visit by the then Prince of Wales, in 1923. This was the future Edward VIII, albeit briefly. No doubt, that day in 1923, he was doing a bit of what he derogatorily termed 'princing' before sloping off to see Freda Dudley Ward, nee Birkin, who was his Notts knock-off for many years.

David, as he was known, has always fascinated me as has the peculiar creature he married.

I recently saw a documentary on YouTube entitled Edward on Edward. It was presented by the queen's youngest son who, like me, has always taken an interest in his great uncle.

He states at one point that he has never uncovered any evidence that the man was a traitor to his country during WW2 and added that he'd had a good look for the same.

My response to that was that he didn't look hard enough. It's not difficult to find!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Just checked and can confirm that my great aunt Eva resided at 433 Alfreton Road, near to the corner of Osborne Street. She died in 1974.

In that Wrights 1913 directory we spoke of elsewhere 433 Alfreton Road has a lace maker called Thomas Morley living there.

Also there was a Thomas Land, Grocer at 383 - Land's were still there in the 60s.

373 was George Cotton, Newsagent - wonder if it stayed as one right up to Hill's?

My mum's wool shop at 375 was a Milliner (Nellie Hazeldine).

379 was Gosling's Hairdressers.

• Like 1

Just read your post was your mum at the top of alfreton rd ?

In the 1941 Trade Directory the occupants are…….

369 - Albert Marson, Fruiterer

371 - Thomas Buck, Hardware

373 - Thomas Unwin, Newsagent

375 - Mary Baker and Mildred Aunie, Drapers

377 - Jack Mellows, Greengrocer

379 - Albert Pearce, Fish Frier

381 - Charles Wood, Tobacconist

383 - Thomas Land, Grocer

• Like 1

What I can remember from Canning Circus going down Alfreton Rd frist was The salon called Continetel which later moved to Derby rd next to them was a stone mason then the pub called Flying Horse,  and a pub facing, before that a newsagent, cross the road was a music shop and another newsagent, going back across the road again there was another pub on a corner. The as Cliff just posted a drapers shop across from the drapers/baby cloths shop was a secondhand pawn brookers still had it 3 B///// hanging out side next to them was a bank Now Facing the bank was a brillent shop called Barbara Chapmans they where the best Hairdresser's in Nottingham I should know I worked ther in 1964/5 near us going down the rd was a new super market Fine Fare,

won't go on any more but Ryemester can you remember the pot/china shop Mrs Oakland was the owner.

ps forgot fish n' chip shop

Sorry cant remember the name of the music shop just that they sold instrments and the second hand sop i think wasowned by browns myself and the other junior used to fancy the young boy who worked there.

Down where your mum was I seemed to remember a flase hair and afro shop also sold long wigs am i right 

Eva and Walter Bullough married in 1910 in Beeston. They lived with Eva's parents for a few years whilst saving a deposit for a house which turned out to be 433 Alfreton Road.  Walter was a miner at Radford Colliery, I believe.  Two children were born in that house and Eva lived there until her death.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Sorry cant remember the name of the music shop just that they sold instrments and the second hand sop i think wasowned by browns myself and the other junior used to fancy the young boy who worked there.

Down where your mum was I seemed to remember a flase hair and afro shop also sold long wigs am i right 

There is an afro wig shop but that's at the bottom end just before the old cinema / bingo Hall

I only remember 2 shops near Canning Circus. One was Olivia Jude, baby and children's wear and quite high class, expensive stuff in there. The other was a wool shop across from my bus stop (22 to Cinderhill, just about where Olivia Jude's was,) This wool shop was like Alladin's Cave, crammed with packets of wool. I shopped there on my way home, 1 ball at a time. The whole amount I needed had been put aside for me.

Was the Fine Fare, mentioned earlier, built on the site of the Orion cinema? 'Er indoors worked there for a while, during her teens. Her dad used to deliver meat there from Hackets,abbatoir in Daybrook.

52 minutes ago, katyjay said:

The other was a wool shop across from my bus stop (22 to Cinderhill, just about where Olivia Jude's was,) This wool shop was like Alladin's Cave, crammed with packets of wool. I shopped there on my way home, 1 ball at a time. The whole amount I needed had been put aside for me.

This one ?   (to the left of Fords)  Hover your mouse over the image for an enlargement.   

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm019089/posterid/ntgm019089.html

That looks a bit far up.  There was a Ford's on the the other side of the road, further down than Olivia Jude's going away from the city. This was in the 70s. There was also a boutique called Silver Bird which had unusual clothes and small sizes. I was a 6-8 in those days and the majority of shops started at 12 which buried me.

Olivia Jude had been there for decades. They made my mother's school gymslips!  Near to there was Newman's, bridal shop but I think they were outgunned by Lipman's on Derby Road which was several times larger.