Alfreton Road in the 60s

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the corner of Alfreton Road, Bentinck Road. My wife’s grandparents owned Flints newsagents. This photo is early 1960’s.

Not quite, but nearly.   Look at this link, which is Player's official photo site. Scroll down a bit and there are several photos which nearly cover the area in question (and you can click o

This is the section of Alfreton Road between Wimbourne Road and Beckenham Road. I've seen lots of photos of the road further up showing Bentinck School, The Windmill Pub, Flying Horse, Jersey Kapwood

6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Sorry cant remember the name of the music shop just that they sold instrments and the second hand sop i think wasowned by browns myself and the other junior used to fancy the young boy who worked there.

Down where your mum was I seemed to remember a flase hair and afro shop also sold long wigs am i right 

I think the music shop was Papworths. I used to buy records there and drool over the guitars. I think there was a scientific shop a bit further down and across the road was Jackie Pownalls which I think sold all sorts of second hand items.

2 hours ago, Radford Boy said:

I think the music shop was Papworths. I used to buy records there and drool over the guitars. I think there was a scientific shop a bit further down and across the road was Jackie Pownalls which I think sold all sorts of second hand items.

38 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

Didn’t stop Tony Iommi from making a career of playing with three and a half fingers…

I bought a Vox AC 30 amp. and a guitar fro Papworths. Will2017

Many thanks katejay yes the shop was Judes then i think the chippy came next was then the salon where I worked.

Will2017 this was the shop that i mantioned at the time I don;t think it belonged to jackie Pownalls as myself and Elaine the other junior fancied the young man and it was his father who owned mind you it is many years so I could be wrong. 

Beekey when I worked there Fine Fare had already been built it would be about hummmmmmmm 1963/4

Elaine who worked with me lived in Underwood and had to catch a blue bus home at the time being a city person I thought Underwood was miles away. Elaines mum worked at Jersy Kapwoods 

Still asking do any of you know Mrs Oakland who had the Glass and China shop, other side of the road and a little further down. just a little bit more info  Have any of you seen the film Snow White when the Queen changes into a old woman, well she had a large nose with a large pimple on. well this is what Mrs Oakland was like not being unkind to Mrs Oakland at the time she was 80plus and I was a mear 16year old.

11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Am I correct in thinking this is the view today ?   https://goo.gl/maps/xTTZDNDgYzBHyxHE7 

With the now-demolished St Michael's church in the background ?

Yes CT - a great shame to see St Michael's demolished. I was a choir boy there.

I used to go to Flints when Parkers, the newsagent on Peveril St were out of stock of something. Just around the corner from Eric's was a butcher's and I used to do deliveries on the bike. When Bovil St etc were demolished the residents were re located to the new Clifton estate. Some of them remained customers and I had to cycle all the way to Clifton on the heavy butchers bike! 

Most of my family lived on Alfreton Rd. next door to the Spread Eagle. My Gran and auntie had the grocers shop opposite the bank at top of Peveril St.. 

I think I mentioned this before on this forum. When St Michaels was being demolished a few mates saw that the pews which were quite long were just being piled up outside in a heap. For some reason best know to them, they thought liberating one would be a good idea so started to carry one down Alfreton Road. It was so heavy they soon gave up and abandoned it by the bus stops near Pownalls. I’ve no idea why they thought this was a good idea. I should make it clear that I took no active part in the execution or planning of this deed in any way whatsoever and was merely an observer of this reckless wicked act. 

12 hours ago, Radford Boy said:

I loved Papworths aka The Music Inn. My band mate and I used to spend hours in there in the mid 60s drooling over the guitars and other great stuff they stocked. Problem was that as 15 year olds we had very little money so could only dream. There was one young assistant who was happy for us to try stuff out but the manager would quickly intervene and tell us to stop touching if we weren’t going to buy. 
I think the scientific shop you refer to was Nottingham Scientific Exchange (NSE) on Peveril St. They had some nice electronic bits. My dad bought me a lovely Sanyo reel to reel tape recorder from there in 1967. Nick Daykin was a salesman there before he started his own Hi Fi business on Alfreton Road. NSE is referenced a lot on this site if you search it.

19 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

This is the corner of Alfreton Road, Bentinck Road. My wife’s grandparents owned Flints newsagents. This photo is early 1960’s.

38628549-94-AF-426-B-A6-B7-86-CAAA3230-E

You know what, you couldn't park like that nowadays. Was this before traffic lights were installed?

I wondered why St Michael's looked too close to the road. The road must have been widened when the traffic lights were installed. Prior to that there were iron railings surrounding the church.

On the photo of the Blackpool bus trip from the Forest pub I can see at least one auntie and possibly three. 

How come I have no memory of there being no traffic lights at that junction. I lived around that area until I were 14. That would be 1957. Mind you, it were only a mere 7 years later when I was stopping a bus at red lights there. (Now my brain hurts).

According to several sources, the church was demolished circa 71-72, so I must've gone past it on a bus when I was younger, but I don't really remember it - although I remember many other buildings in the 60s around that area which haven't survived.

I spent a lot of my childhood and early youth at the church hall shown on the right. Cubs, scouts and dances were held there. It was the centre of our community. The vicar was Cannon Leaper. A very kind man. He let some of us boys have a mini allotment just behind those railings. I started school at the Bentick, just opposite. When my sister started 10 years later our Granddad was the lollipop man. No traffic lights then.

• Like 2