Alfreton Road in the 60s

20 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

One of the NEP's old photo features looks at Alfreton Road.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/see-old-photos-nottinghams-alfreton-2111723

Photo no 3 the white building on the right is where Fine Fare was.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the corner of Alfreton Road, Bentinck Road. My wife’s grandparents owned Flints newsagents. This photo is early 1960’s.

Not quite, but nearly.   Look at this link, which is Player's official photo site. Scroll down a bit and there are several photos which nearly cover the area in question (and you can click o

This is the section of Alfreton Road between Wimbourne Road and Beckenham Road. I've seen lots of photos of the road further up showing Bentinck School, The Windmill Pub, Flying Horse, Jersey Kapwood

Fine Fare was built on the site of the old cinema. The Orion. Picture no 3 is too far up to be FF. ( too close to Canning circus).

"I remember, I was there, I was that soldier".

I believe the passageway from the street at the back is still there.

The store is now Kaya Food Centre.

The car parked outside Flints newsagents in my photo posted earlier was a green Morris Oxford owned by Mr Flint, the shop owner. He gave the car to his son, my father in law, I remember it well being parked outside my then girlfriends, now wife’s house. 

Many superb pictures there RM and CT - thankyou.

I was searching for a picture of the Beal's Hosiery factory on Peveril St. They were quite a large employer around that part of Alfreton Rd. There were in fact 3 hosiery firms on Peveril St when I lived there. 

On 12/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Here's another NEP photo feature for the area.

Pictures 11-13 are specifically relevant to Rhymester's original question, but they still just miss the shops he's asking about.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/take-trip-down-memory-lane-3312356

Photo page 60   1977 Radford rd Hyson Green. If you make photo larger you can see a salon "Michael Allen" this was one salon that I worked at.  Just a bit of info   Micheal was married to Aurdrey and all his 8 salon's which he owned was named Aurdrey's but at 32 she had a brain tumor and she did not survive. He then changed the name to Micheal Allen. Still one salon is being used it is in Wollaton. The wholesalers called Rendezous allso belonged to the Allen family. If I remember correctly the salon on Radford Rd/Berkin Ave was his first salon and he went on from there.

Mary , I worked on Noel St new Basford and I remember a salon called Audreys. There was a girl called Pat who worked there and she won a hairdressing comp but cant for the life of me which comp it was. This Salon was in Hyson Green. Did it belong to all the other Audrey salons?

Just thought maybe the comp was the Apprentice Cup.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:16 PM, nonnaB said:

Mary , I worked on Noel St new Basford and I remember a salon called Audreys. There was a girl called Pat who worked there and she won a hairdressing comp but cant for the life of me which comp it was. This Salon was in Hyson Green. Did it belong to all the other Audrey salons?

Just thought maybe the comp was the Apprentice Cup.

Hi nonnaB nice to speak to you again yes your right all the Audrey's salon belonged to Alan and Audrey Simms. They had a daughter whom they allso called Audery  staff used  to say little Aurd and big Aurd. Racking my brains just can remember some young girl winning a comp, not sure which one? Could have been Goldwell cup or Hairdressing Guild cup, (which Allen ended uo being chairman of Nottm branch) or L'oreal colour Trophy, It could be a test for us to find out? only if we have time. Friday nights out all the staff stylist and juniors used to  go to the Sal up staires remember they had half moon seating, it was a good night as when any fellow ask what job we did, we all used to shout were Audrey's stylist girls, can't count how many stopped drinking to look at us.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Have just had a lovely surprise,

whilst looking at the alfreton road in the 60,s thread saw a series of photo's from the nottm post that cliff ton put on 20/12/2021, photo 14 the ladies from the forest inn going to blackpool in 1951 & saw my grandma on it, great find for me.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:48 AM, mary1947 said:

Still asking do any of you know Mrs Oakland who had the Glass and China shop, other side of the road and a little further down. just a little bit more info  Have any of you seen the film Snow White when the Queen changes into a old woman, well she had a large nose with a large pimple on. well this is what Mrs Oakland was like not being unkind to Mrs Oakland at the time she was 80plus and I was a mear 16year old.

@mary1947i remember the shop well from when i lived in the area,it was the shop that is now falafel station on alfreton road, the sign above used to say M E OAKLAND & SON & was run by mrs oakland & her son when i knew it,

i remember going in there a couple of times with my mum she bought some saucepans there & an alarm clock i would have been around 6 or 7 at the time, not sure what year it happened but the shop caught fire in the middle of the night one night, i remember walking past the burnt out shell the day after & seeing all the goods broken & blackened by the smoke inside, very sad.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

I must addmit when i vist the city via Rainbow One (bus)  the route it takes is Alfreton Road and I look around al the shops and buildings,  Some of them just look like dumps  no glass in the windows, doors want a coat of paint, and sume food shops are just plain sruffy, 

Not a very good entrance into our CITY for any newcomer 

Song to go with Alfreton Road 

The  Killkennys       DIRTY OLD TOWN,

• Like 1