Market Sq 1950

:Friends: Here's a more personal one......I'm in me mums arms and my brother is kneeling next to her...cira 1950

Sorry about the quality of the image......

Copyofja16_005.jpg

My Victor Meldrew persona thinks that, as the square was so pleasant - as is revealed in these 3 pictures, why change it for something that the majority of folk will consider inferior....

Can't recall anyone ever saying that Slab Square was dated, run down or old fashioned...very much the contrary, according to the thousands who relaxed there during the summer months.

If it wasn't broke, why fix it?

Cheers

Robt P.

I totally agree rob......if they are going to up date slab square why don't they up date the council house too.....is't it going to look a bit out of place, a bit dated so to speak...why not demolish it and make it look more like the new buildings they are putting up where Trinity Car park once stood and the Corner House building is now.........all glass and plastic...........

Another pic of me, but this time I'm in me top of the range Prestige de-luxe pushchair........so me mam tells me.......my brother is sitting by the pushchair as if you need telling.....enjoy..... :victory:

Copyofja16_004.jpg

IIRC, it did/could till the early 50's....

The idea was that it offered a 'return' option....back to Trent Bridge, or whatever.

Don't think it was part of any designated route.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 3 months later...

I was reliably informed by my brother that the lions were supposed to roar whenever a virgin passed by. He, and is school mates, spent hours sitting there waiting for it to happen. <giggle>

Hugs Alison

No way that photo is from the early 50s. The clothes are wrong for a start and the area in front of the Council House is pedestrianised. And, if you look in the background there's a "modern" single deck bus. I'd say the photo was from the 80s.

For the life of me I can't remember where I got the pic from.

Something in my brain told me it was from that era ie 50s.

Well if it is from the 80s I'm sure someone on here with a better memory than me, will let us know the exact date, or thereabouts.

The idea was that it offered a 'return' option....back to Trent Bridge, or whatever.

Don't think it was part of any designated route.

With regards to trolleybuses in front of the Council House: didn't they simply use the island at the bottom of Market Street to turn around?

Far more sensible than having having wires and poles directly in front of the ceremonial balcony.

Managed to dig this up.

Spitfire on the market square. This picture of the spitfire was taken at one of the first Nottingham festivals. In fact there were a few planes at the time, on the square. The next year after that, they put a big orange tent up, approx 1979. The square is topical at the moment, seeing that its under construction. Picture taken by Steven Blood of Hucknall.

Apologies for the wrong date.