In mid December my wife put '4 teacakes' on our Sainsbury's home delivery order (a First Class service!) '4 hot cross buns' were substituted.

A couple of years ago, Tesco were doing Belgian chocolate hot cross buns! Very nice but not the sort of thing I should be eating!

Nothing tastes like 'proper' home made hot cross buns. Those of my childhood were made by Emily Ward in the big old fashioned kitchen at Garden Street...and only on Good Friday, so we made sure we always visited on that day.  She mixed the dough in a massive earthenware crock on the pine kitchen table and then covered it with a tea towel and left it to rise by the fire.  The aroma almost dragged you into the house once you'd opened the outer doors.

Then they were popped into the oven to bake while we sat by the fire. Warm hot cross buns smothered with butter, tea in china cups at around 3pm and home at 4pm with a bagful of buns.

Emily had her own recipe and when the crocks weren't being used for hot cross buns, they were full of home made wine with a slice of toast floating on the top!  Happy days, gone for ever except in my memory.

• Like 3

There arent many of those sort of cooks left Jill. Good old fashioned baking you just cannot beat..

I gave you a 'like' for the above Jill, you were hovering at 8,999 likes. I gave you a leg up to 9000.

• Like 2

Mentioned the early hotcross buns, easter eggs and fireworks today at lunch time. Waiting for it to sink in then my daughter asking me when I'm going to make some hotcross buns.