HSR It is the last we shall see for a while as the 1931 Census for the UK was destroyed in a fire. The Scottish Census Data was OK as it was stored separately in Edinburgh.

Due to the WWII there was no census conducted in 1941. I will make an appearance when the 1951 census is released.

Good luck if ever my descendants try to find me as ever since I had to fill my own census if have consciously not participated in this giant waste of public money.

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

HSR It is the last we shall see for a while as the 1931 Census for the UK was destroyed in a fire. The Scottish Census Data was OK as it was stored separately in Edinburgh.

Due to the WWII there was no census conducted in 1941. I will make an appearance when the 1951 census is released.

Good luck if ever my descendants try to find me as ever since I had to fill my own census if have consciously not participated in this giant waste of public money.

There was a kind of census in 1939 so the government could issue ration books etc. It wasn't very detailed but info is available from it now, provided the person is not still alive IIRC

• Like 1

I heard you can notify them of deceased relatives and they will update their records. The National Archives has several videos and information sheets available online giving details of verious ways of investigating your relatives, including the new 1921 census and the 1939 'census'

I paid for a couple of transcriptions on the 1921 Census .

Could see my dad (born 1913) with my grandad , plus my dads siblings. They were living on Carlton Hill or Main Street , Carlton as it was called then.

I already knew my grandad (who died 1940) had been a cinema projectionist and always wondered where he worked . Thought he probably got on a tram into town to work.

This census gives employers name and it said he worked at The Alexandra Palace , Netherfield , working for a Mr C. Woodward.

Later this became the Cosy Cinema . That closed in 1955.

I' m not old enough to remember the Cosy but told my elder brother and he said "We never used to go to that cinema , it was always known as the "fleapit" ! "

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I was at the National Archives today and just had time to look at both of sets of Grandparents with children, for free. My Mum and Dad didn't appear as they were born in late 1921 and 1922.   Interesting to see an Uncle and  Aunts I remember so well and my Grandads employers are known.  More work to do!

• Like 2
On 1/8/2022 at 11:11 AM, Cliff Ton said:

I've wondered about that. Is anyone updating the blanks ?  

Me too, from my experience, uncle born in 1921, the record is open, his brother and sister born 1924 and 26 closed.

My Grandfather died in 1965 and record was open, Grandmother, his wife, also open.

This is odd died,2001, but I did pay for her birth certificate though the traditional channel's.

Best I can come up with, I'm sure the blanking hasn't changed since 1939 was placed online unless you pay for a certificate.

What I find intriguing was the cut off point, and what was the criteria involved.

Seems that it's not random with a cut off date point, they have researched it, though not authoritive.

Why it hasn't been updated? Roughly 10 quid a pop? 

Edit..

Years fly by, so lose track, I'm thinking that the death records were drawn from the late 90's on the 1939 online census.

• 5 weeks later...

After a great deal of bewilderment as to why I couldn't find my Maternal Grandparents on the 1921 census, I finally tracked them down today. My grandfather would have completed the form and his handwriting was absolutely beautiful. In fact, it was an obsession of his that people should have clear and legible writing. Therefore, I doubt that most with a reasonable understanding of the English language would have any difficulty in reading it.

His surname was SAUNT, so why has it been transcribed as SAMET?  

Who is responsible for transcribing this rubbish? What does Find My Past think it's playing at?

Apparently, SAMET is a common name in Thailand!

Sadly, this isn't the only line of my family I cannot find.

Find My Past expect us to pay for the privilege of viewing this cr*p?

Think again!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jill, my mum used to write an ‘M’ which looked like a ‘U’  and she was that generation (born 1902) Also my brother writes the capital M of his name in tne same way….. it looks like a ‘U’

I don’t know how the ‘m’ looked like an ‘e’ though!

The thing is, if I had read a surname as SAMET I'd have returned to it and spent time trying to establish what it really was because I'd have known that was almost certainly incorrect. However, time is money. B*gger the mistakes! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

The 1939 Register is useful but I have found relatives in it who are still alive whilst others who are deceased are still blanked out!

That`s a shame.  I just found a missing ancestor in the 1939 register, after gleaning information from the 1921 census, but both died many years ago.

Jill,

You state, still alive..and declared as deceased?

Iv'e never found that..

Seems unacceptable to me.

My great Uncle appeared twice on the 1891 cenus.

Imagine the confusion on the latest one...!!

Was there a cencus 2021? 

If so, totally bypassed me!!

On 2/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, Brew said:

Never knew it was done by hand, has to be one of the most boring jobs  ever

The definitions are done abroad, always better to study the original...

Eg..

Transcript Car Women officer..

Innitial Me: Did they have female traffic wardens in '39?

Nope, on reading, it was,.. Char Woman, Office...!

There's loads of others, window for winder, the most common...

• 1 year later...

I wonder what will happen many years from now if my descendants look for me in the census as I refuse to participate in this exercise in futility and have not filled out a census in fifty years. My view is that there is nothing that they are asking that they cannot obtain from sources they already have. What an incredible waste of taxpayers money. To hear them say we use the information to make planning decisions, what a load of ballcocks, I don't see much effective "planning".

• Cliff Ton changed the title to 1921 Census