Life Boys on Parade 1940s

I posted this on the Nottingham from the owd days Facebook group as I was looking for more information.

Found out that the building in the background was the old Heathfield Pub / Hotel on Arnold Road, Basford.

My dad, Derek Chawner, is front centre: I knew he was in the Boys Brigade but apparently this was the junior section then known as the Life Boys for around 8 - 11 year olds.

20220110_154808.jpg

• Like 2

They're all stood facing Arnold Road, on the end of Heathfield road. Have you any idea of the year Rye? My missus had an Auntie Lily, who lived at the other end at no.1.

• Upvote 1

So many memories of old friends and family in the Heathfield Hotel........considered by outsiders to be rough back in the 60s......they were real down to earth folk....who loved a Pint and a sing song with their Pals.........remember so many of the family names......Fishers......Warsop......Welthorne....Fewkes.....Birds.......Crowles.....Wallheads....Ingles...Wakefields..Allsops...Lounds.,,Allcocks.and many more...........

Had my first Pint in there when i was 15 in 1960,,,,most of the above names were ''Teddy Boys'' and great characters............Yes there were a few fights (usually over girls)  but after they would usually shake hands and buy each other a Pint...people don't believe this...but it was so true...........

Juke box in one room.........singing to Piano and Drums in another........Used to go in with a couple of mates and sometimes a girl we were all underage...the Landlord obviously knew....but so long as we behaved all was ok........all good practice for when we hit the town for drinks......

Feel sad when i drive past nowadays and see a shop.......with no old Pals hanging about........

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

They're all stood facing Arnold Road, on the end of Heathfield road. Have you any idea of the year Rye? My missus had an Auntie Lily, who lived at the other end at no.1.

Well if the age range was 8 to 11 for the Life Boys then, as my dad was born in 1929, the latest it could be would be 1940.