Shakespeare Street, Register Office?

20211231_180228.jpg

This was the wedding of my Great Aunt, Ada Adkin to Henry Reynolds in 1954. It has been suggested that this was outside the Shakespeare Street Register Office.

Can anyone confirm this location or point me in the right direction to see relevant pictures?

Looks very much like it to me, @Rhymester.  I have a photo of my Maternal Grandfather outside the same establishment in the very early 60s. The wrought iron work is identical.

He was married there himself in 1913 but, sadly, no photos have survived if, indeed, there ever were any.

@Rhymester a further photo of my cousin getting married in 1963 confirms said location. Ironwork identical. I was present at that one. Shotgun wedding, tut, tut, tut!  Took place shortly after maternal aunt's second marriage in the same venue. She was widowed, so slightly more respectable. Her son's first marriage also took place there at around the same time. Gosh. I went to a lot of weddings at Shakespeare Street Register Office during a very short period. It's enough to turn you against marriage for life....which it obviously did!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Shakespeare Street Register Office, many years ago and long before the advent of t'internet, I was tracing my family tree and went there not infrequently to obtain copies of various certificates.

The staff, obviously desirous of imparting what said certificates looked like, had fixed a display to the wall. This consisted of fictitious certificates for a number of  famous characters drawn from what appeared to be mainly Victorian Gothic novels. One, in particular, I recall was a marriage certificate for one Edward Fairfax Rochester of Thornfield Hall.

I called in one lunchtime, mid to late 70s, to obtain a certificate pertaining to my family tree. Having given the known details to the assistant, I sat down to wait.  Enter a rather heavily tattooed, slightly grubby looking bloke who, likewise, gave his details to the assistant then sat down to wait, having first perused the display.

Turning to me, the only other person present, the tattooed one wiped his nose on his sleeve, jerked his thumb toward Mr Rochester and remarked, "I thinks I knows 'im!"

"Yes?" I responded. "He's very well known. He's a bigamst, you know."

Confused expression, knitted brows, awkward silence.

"Yer wot?"

T'internet can't compare. :blink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

It wasn't until my mum passed away in 2020 that i found out after going there with my dad to register her death that this is no longer the place where it's done & is now done at the council house, have got a picture of my own parents standing outside there after their own wedding in 1963, those steps must be on more photo's than anywhere else in nottingham.