Recommended Posts

  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm told they can be difficult to get rid of. 

It is also Chinese New Year, we can have Chinese Burns.

I remember Chinese burns - it really hurt when someone twisted the skin on your wrist 

51 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

it appears someone has hidden them! 

 

On 1/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, philmayfield said:

My wife’s hidden them and won’t tell me where! So much for piping in the haggis tomorrow.

 

See the very same post this time last year, comes to us all eventually :crazy: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@brew

 

The flattened seventh, or leading note, of any scale is one of the elements which gives jazz its distinctive sound. I'm not a jazz fan but the bagpipe player obviously is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that the nine notes of the bagpipe form a simple Mixolydian scale with a flattened 7th on top and bottom.  However, music is a foreign language to me so I don't know what that means!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my bagpipes on a whim (as one does) from a chap called Denny Goodwin who had a music shop on Victoria St. in Newark. He came originally from India so he must have Anglicised his name. The shop was a treasure trove of musical instruments; he sold the whole range from strings to wind. He was an accomplished jazz musician who had (still has) his own quartet. He retired from the shop some years ago but still plays gigs in the area. The pipes came with a tin of disgusting brown gooey stuff which had to rubbed onto the inside of the bag to retain the airtightness. I never got around to doing that though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mixolydian is, roughly, G to G on a piano keyboard (white keys only, missing out F# which would be the G major scale)) but not quite because the piano is tuned with equal temperament which means each note is slightly 'out'. If bagpipes are designed to operate in mixolydian mode then they supposedly could play jazz!

 

I think someone once referred to the saxophone*, which is not an easy instrument to master, as 'an ill wind that nobody blows any good!'  Perhaps, being an American, he wasn't familiar with bagpipes.

 

*This quote is also attributed to the oboe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@brew

 

The flattened seventh, or leading note, of any scale is one of the elements which gives jazz its distinctive sound. I'm not a jazz fan but the bagpipe player obviously is.

 

2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I read that the nine notes of the bagpipe form a simple Mixolydian scale with a flattened 7th on top and bottom.  However, music is a foreign language to me so I don't know what that means!

 

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Mixolydian is, roughly, G to G on a piano keyboard (white keys only, missing out F# which would be the G major scale)) but not quite because the piano is tuned with equal temperament which means each note is slightly 'out'. If bagpipes are designed to operate in mixolydian mode then they supposedly could play jazz!

 

I think someone once referred to the saxophone*, which is not an easy instrument to master, as 'an ill wind that nobody blows any good!'  Perhaps, being an American, he wasn't familiar with bagpipes.

 

*This quote is also attributed to the oboe.

 

thumbsdown Can you stop now please until I can find a nice dark corner to lie down in, me brain 'urts...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean Brew - I find music theory to be rather complex.  I've read lots about it over the years because I am fascinated by the links to pattern and mathematics.  However, I have never learned to play an instrument properly so without putting theory into practice, it just doesn't stick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After the last 2 home games @ The City Ground there’s been an annoying jock dressed bloke on Pavilion Road playing Mull Of Kintyre  on his bagpipes, I’d like to see his bagpipes in the Trent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Send him to play on Nottingham castle

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I know what you mean Brew - I find music theory to be rather complex.  I've read lots about it over the years because I am fascinated by the links to mathematics

I presume you’ve read ‘The music of the primes’ ?  Fascinating…

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brew said:

 

 

 

thumbsdown Can you stop now please until I can find a nice dark corner to lie down in, me brain 'urts...

Perhaps you need to go and listen to some Stockhausen. It almost makes bagpipes sound good!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Discordant rubbish, whoever said it was music needs professional help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I and a few friends play at Burns Night Bashes in pubs and  private parties in village halls.

No bagpipes!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised they don't fry the Haggis in batter first, along with their Mars bars. Incidentally,  I love Neaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've being going to Scotland for many years both for business and pleasure. Chips used to be a staple of the diet and it wasn't until recent years that they started to serve decent food in hotels and restaurants. A crab salad in a restaurant in the fishing port of Cambeltown some years ago was made using tinned crab!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember at school in ‘Domestic Science’ -as it was then known- dressing a crab!  I think our school must have been very upmarket in those days!

it’s called Food Technology or Food and Nutrition  now I believe and the children probably make pizzas and burgers..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...