• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm told they can be difficult to get rid of. 

It is also Chinese New Year, we can have Chinese Burns.

I remember Chinese burns - it really hurt when someone twisted the skin on your wrist 

20 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

followed by a cranachan desert. 

I'd never heard of cranachan before. Had to look it up.  And it looks as though I've been missing something I'd like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cranachan&oq=cranachan&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.4702j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

14 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Seriously, we always have haggis on Burns Night. Funny thing a haggis, round like football - you don’t know whether to cook it or kick it. When you’ve cooked It you wish you’d kicked it! :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypk6o6e1_qg&list=RDYpk6o6e1_qg&index=1

34 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Can't do that nowadays you'd get sued.

It was only kids who would do it, not teachers, thankfully.  Wonder if kids still do that... I don't want to ask any of the youngsters I know in case it gives them ideas...

10 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I do actually own a set of bagpipes. Sadly I’ve never mastered them! 

Phew!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

I don't think they sound bad in the right place.  Back in 67 we heard a lonely piper out somewhere near Loch Ness.  It was a moving experience.

So that's why you moved!

Someone once said "A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes........................... but never does".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Where did you move to? :biggrin:

Canada!

One of the first guys I worked with was a Scotsman.  He invited me to his son's wedding.  At the reception they had a piper.  Wow! I'd never realized how LOUD they were in a relatively small dining room setting.  :biggrin:

On a beautiful day last weekend we went to Portesham, near Dorchester for a walk in the Dorset countryside. At the summit of Blackdown Hill is a 72 foot high monument built as a memorial to Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy of “Kiss Me Hardy” fame ....... not to be confused with Thomas Hardy the novelist who grew up in the same area. 

Standing just a few yards from the monument was a lone piper, blowing his heart out, surrounded by his 4 Rough Collies.  I’m not really a fan of the sound of bagpipes but had some admiration for this man who played pretty well and who apparently had a Scottish father and an English mother and grew up in a little village below the hill, he took up playing the bagpipes after his father passed away.  

3-D3-ACD70-276-B-4793-A080-1156-A5-C3847F0003-BBE-DD07-4-F2-E-AF30-73-CDFDD9-F38

• Like 5

The dogs didn’t appear to be bothered at all by the noise!  I chatted to the chap and in my usual subtle way asked if he went up the hill to play his bagpipes because his neighbours down in the village didn’t appreciate  it.  He did admit that only one neighbour was able to tolerate it smile2